Calmivet / acepromazine for anxiety?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
brigidrynne
Frequent Cat Chatter

Calmivet / acepromazine for anxiety?

Post by brigidrynne »

Hello all. What a nice fresh new website! Hopefully all our wisest cat chatters have transferred over.

I've got to take our two boys in for their annual boosters on Tuesday. Since scratching one of the practice vets over a year ago, Tiggy now has a black mark against his record, warning that he can be aggressive. Poor Tiggy isn't really aggressive at all. He has very sensitive skin and is terrified of injections. He's a big strong lad and tends to react so violently as the vet tries to give the injection that often the syringe ends up on the floor. The vet who got scratched was stupid. Tiggy was struggling to get free and his claws got got in the vet's coat - so the vet decided that this was an ideal time to try clipping his claws, despite my saying that I was perfectly capable of doing them in the calm and comfort of his own home! Sorry, that's all beside the point.

The point is that I thought I would ask the vet to give me something that might calm Tiggy a bit before the vet visit, and the vet nurse has given me an antihistamine called Calmivet. I made the mistake of Googling it and have seen lots of reports of hypotension, dizziness and other negative reactions (including increased aggression!). I'm assuming that the vast majority of people will have used Calmivet without adverse affects, but they seldom pop up in Google searches. Does anyone have any experience of giving Calmivet or Piriton (a closely related antihistamine) for anxiety in cats?
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Calmivet / acepromazine for anxiety?

Post by greenkitty »

Although I don't use it for anxiety Hector does have Piriton everyday with no adverse reactions.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm afraid I've no experience of either. I would, however, make sure NEVER to see that particular vet again.
brigidrynne
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by brigidrynne »

Thanks greenkitty. Piriton was suggested by a vet nurse in London, a few years back when Tiggy was overgrooming, but - as the advice didn't come directly from the vet - I never tried it. I'll give Calmivet a go today, as I find it quite upsetting to see Tiggy so distressed at the vet's. He is normally such a sweet and cuddly little chap, but he's terrified of injections. Thank goodness the vet now allows us to administer a worm pill ourselves (in his surgery) when we're travelling , so Tiggy only has to have his annual boosters by injection. :(

Crewella, I agree. Unfortunately, it's a bit of a lottery as to who you get to see and we are time-limited for the ferry crossing from France to the UK or Ireland. (Having said that, they have relaxed the rules considerably since 2012.)
brigidrynne
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by brigidrynne »

Quick update. All went well at the vet's and we are now back at home. Both cats were fine with their vaccinations, but I would be inclined to put this down to a new (and very gentle) vet and our taking a pocketful of nibbles to distract them with.

I'm can't recommend Calmivet, I'm afraid. Nearly three hours later, Tiggy is staggering around as if he has had a full anaesthetic. He is very wobbly and probably a bit worried, so he's currently tucked up by my side on the sofa, trying to sleep off the effects. I can only hope the worst of it wears off in a couple of hours. Poor little fellow. :shock:
brigidrynne
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by brigidrynne »

It got worse before it started to get better. Quite worrying, really. Even now, 9 hours later, Tiggy is brighter in himself and eating normally, if rather slower than usual, but still staggering about on wonky legs. :shock:

Definitely wouldn't recommend Calmivet. It was given with the very best of intentions, knowing how fearful Tiggy gets at the vet, but I actually feel the experience has been cruel rather than kind. Wouldn't do it again.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Brigid - not quite the same but many years back my vet gave me a sedative for Molly to see us through the firework season as Molly used to be beyond terrified of the noise. I only tried it with her once and same as your Tiggy she just wobbled about and was really unsteady for far too long for my liking; so I never gave it to her again. If anything I think it freaked her out more than the fireworks ever did.

Fusses to Tiggy