toilet behaviour

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
shelsie68
New Cat Chatter

toilet behaviour

Post by shelsie68 »

My 6 month old cat every now and then will do her bussiness on the floor beside her litter tray, instead of using her litter tray. Sometimes even when the tray is clean. She does it even if her tray has a few poos in there.. I clean it out regally n change the crystals every week or so, I have been told from a friend that it's something to do with her diet? This is very frustrating, so I'm hoping someone can help me on this.... :)
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: toilet behaviour

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi

Welcome to CC !!

You say that she does it "even when there are a few poohs in there.."....a cat will never use a dirty litter tray, even with one pooh or a little wee in, the tray has to be clean, it may be wise to perhaps have 2 litter trays for her to use, one for a wee and one for a pooh and it would be best to change the litter more regular than just every week or so , I change mine on a daily basis....but certainly never leave "a few poohs in." she will not be happy to use it....pretty much the same as you walking into a very dirty toilet !! :( This is absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with her diet.......
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hello and welcome!

I'm with Julie on this. Your girl probably needs at least one more tray if not two. Then if you're out and she needs the loo she has options. It sounds as if she has become ambivalent about her tray use so more options might get things on an even keel. And yes, no poos, let alone a few, should be left in there! Our go outside as well as use trays and we always clear outside and rake the earth over again as soon as we see the facility has been used.
shelsie68
New Cat Chatter

Post by shelsie68 »

Hi ladies
Funny you both say that but I did have 2 trays in my house & she was doing it then aswell....so I took the other one away when she was doing it in both places... looks like she is just a fussy cat....... today she did it twice on the floor when the tray was clean! And only does it every now n then....so it's very frustrating....
andtiggertoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by andtiggertoo »

Have you tried changing the litter?
shelsie68
New Cat Chatter

Post by shelsie68 »

Of course I have changed her litter!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

That made me laugh, but I think Andtiggertoo meant changing the type of litter! Some cats prefer finer granules and some are fine with the larger woodchip pellets! :D

It might be worth trying different types of litter?

Hello and welcome, by the way! :D
andtiggertoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by andtiggertoo »

Yes, of course I meant changing the type of litter!! There are so many different sorts. Millie for example refuses point blank to use anything made from yesterday's newsprint!
Eliz+Cats
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Eliz+Cats »

Hi,

Just a few thoughts...

Has your cat had any constipation or other poo problems?
Sometimes if a cat has had pain/discomfort while pooping in the litter box it can associate the litter box with a painful experience and be reluctant to return to it for a while.
(Ditto for any other negative experiences that it may associate with it (ie being disturbed or frightened while using the litter box.))

And some cats don't like litter that's too deep. And since it takes longer to poop than to pee that means standing on an unstable surface for longer (it might feel like sinking in quicksand!).

Maybe none of this applies, but I thought I'd mention these things 'just in case'...

Eliz
shelsie68
New Cat Chatter

Post by shelsie68 »

Hi Cc friends
Yes I have just bought some new litter going to try the pellets and see how she goes...she has been very good of late. And hasn't done it...i think she is just a fussy cat....thanks for all ur suggestions....hopefully with the new one she won't do it anymore well I can hope anyway.... :)