Pancreas low enzyme reading.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Pancreas low enzyme reading.

Post by Catfan5 »

Harry recently had a full blood screening done as he is losing weight. He has hcm but is doing well on his atenolol. The result showed all is well except the pancreas is reading 11 when normal is 12- 82 so only slightly low. The vet suggested Panzym supplement on his food although the reading might just be normal for Harry but 'it won't do any harm if he doesn't need it' . He has no other symptoms so I declined. His appetite is small these days and can't get him interested in eating more, using the usual tricks to tempt him. If anyone has knowledge of this I would like to hear about it. And any other ideas on getting Harry to eat more without resorting to syringing it in would be good.
Eliz+Cats
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Pancreas low enzyme reading.

Post by Eliz+Cats »

Does the vet think that Harry may be borderline EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency)? EPI could account for some weight loss because the lack of pancreatic enzymes will mean that he can't get all the nutrients from the food he's eating.
Is his poo large/fluffy/pale/smelly...? (That can be another clue...)

I have given pancreatic enzymes to one of my kitties, and it did seem to help with the digestion of food, although it took a little tempting to get him to eat it.

Does Harry have any favourite treats that could be put onto his food to encourage him to eat? (tuna juice, parmesan, crushed Thrive chicken treats...?)
Or have you tried Fortiflora? (I think some of my cats would eat gravel if I sprinkled a little of that on it!!!) Fortiflora also contains pre/pro-biotics to help digestion.

Or might he like Liquivite (liquid cat food that's like thick chicken soup)? Many cats seem to find that very palatable, especially so if it's warmed a tad in the microwave.

I've also found that raising the food dish (to about chest level) has encouraged some of my oldies to eat.

I do hope you find something that works for your boy.
Keeping fingers and paws crossed for you.

Eliz
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Pancreas low enzyme reading.

Post by Catfan5 »

Thanks for your reply Eliz, the vet didn't mention EPI and didn't seem too concerned. I found out about that online. He tends to do his business outside so don't know if it's normal or not.. will have to watch out for when he uses the litter tray next time. She said just to monitor his weight. Harry loves Lickelix treat which he takes his crushed pill in and I add a few drips of it to his food but he still doesn't eat much of it. I will definitely try your other suggestions to try and get him eating more and try the supplement too. The vet didn't explain enough even though I asked her what the low reading indicated so I wasn't sure if I should be worried about it or not. Thanks again. :)