Cat bite?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Cat bite?

Post by mr_frisky »

Hi

One of my cats has a red mark on her neck. I wondered if it looked like a cat bite abcess? I heard some fighting Wednesday night and noticed this mark later that night.

I have booked her in for the vets to have a look at 5.30.
Attachments
bite.jpg
(83.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Cat bite?

Post by sarie »

Hey, that certainly looks like a cat bite abcess but from the look of that photo it appears to have burst and is now open (if I'm looking at it right.. it's a bit blurry). If that's the case then that's good as it means there's no infection building up under the skin and it'll be cleaning itself out.

Your vet will no doubt clean up the wound and give her a long lasting antibiotic injection and if she's in pain they'll offer you some pain medication too (usually Loxicom) which comes in a liquid form that you give by syringe based on her weight. Thankfully my cats like the taste of Loxicom so if you have some of this then hopefully she'll be quite happy taking it. Harv felt quite sorry for himself when he had his cat bite abcess and the pain meds really helped.
See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VRfbGKhrVI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; lol.

Hopefully your vet will confirm and if that's all it is then she'll should heal up within a week or so and be back to her usual self :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Looks like it could be a bite to me too. Hope she gets on OK at the vets.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

Thanks all. It was a bite, but hadn't become infected. I have some Synulox pills. That seems to be their standard prescription. Maybe I should buy shares in them, as I have paid for so many over the years! :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Glad you got it sorted, hope she is on the mend soon.

I know what you mean about shares in a medication. Gracie is always getting whacked - 4 abcess's to date and many more sore bums (always her bum!) She chases the others and is always so surprised when they turn around and chase her back, whacking as they go! :roll: She never learns and I have lost count of the medication she has had - injections, creams. At least salt water is cheap (and often effective) as a first treatment. Hey Ho!
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by mr_frisky »

I know what you mean. I just wanted to be sure it wasn't something else, and didn't become infected. The vet shaved some fur off to see the extent. Looks ok.

A couple of months ago Kitty (my avatar) came in with blood all over her head asking for biscuits. I wasn't sure what that was so I took her to the vets and her ear had split and was bleeding profusely. There is now a half centimetre split on one of her ears. I think she caught it on the jagged edge of a tree collar in the cat-proofing.

When something like that happens panic tends to set in and you want to know what it is, I find.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

I'm glad she's sorted and it hadn't become infected; that's pretty unusual for a bite! Harv's have always been infected, poor thing.

I too know what you both mean about buying shares haha - I've had so much Loxicom over the years, I might as well manufacture my own. Harv used to have an ongoing neighbourhood dispute with a scruffy local Tomcat - I nicknamed Damien because he was evil.

I thought it would be a thing of the past at my new place but it turns out there's ANOTHER black cat here who hates Harv.. poor little guy can't catch a break. Hopefully this one doesn't inflict quite so many injuries though...

Very glad she's on the mend :)