Cats are not designed for skydiving

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Cats are not designed for skydiving

Post by exlibris »

My little cat, Twitch, has successfully fallen out of a first floor window onto the wheelie bin and made a noise so loud we thought someone had slammed a car door. As we were downstairs with some friends at the time and we didn't think to investigate until they left - which was 4 hours later. Twitch is 13, and when I thought I heard an annoyed meow from out side I discovered her at on the doorstep looking mightily peeved. When she came in she wondered around for a while mewing in a confused way until she used her tray and then ate some tuna. All good. So we left her to her own devices (we'd normally be more concerned but our other cat fell out of the same window a few months ago and was fine (NB-I think the tree canopy outside the window looked solid, so I've viciously cut this back now)).
However, she did not sleep on our bed last night. My partner was getting very worried as he couldn't find her. Thankfully I guessed correctly where she was, but I had to move a load of furniture to get to her cubby hole. She's been very out of sorts behaviour wise, but there is no sign of injury. It's been about 20 hours since her fall, so I think if there was anything physically wrong we'd see it by now. Is there anything we should be on the look out for as signs of anything unseen?

Also, she's been walking fine, but I thought she stumbled a bit earlier, then sat all cured up and looked unhappy. But now she's fine again, and I wonder if I've imagined it. It it possible she's a little bruised and nothing else?
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Cats are not designed for skydiving

Post by KittyWitty »

After any fall, especially one like what you discribed I'd be taking my cats to the vets. Cats are very good at hiding pain and injury so it is better to be safe than sorry
notjustacat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by notjustacat »

Please take Twitch to a vet ASAP to be on the safe side. Twitch hiding in a bolt hole after a fall is not a good sign. Please keep us up dated. Luv to Twitch.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by exlibris »

notjustacat wrote:Please take Twitch to a vet ASAP to be on the safe side. Twitch hiding in a bolt hole after a fall is not a good sign. Please keep us up dated. Luv to Twitch.
She's now on my computer chair (I've been relegated to a step stool) snuggled in my dressing gown and is back to purring and washing again. Yay! I'll still make an appointment with the vets, however, as occasionally she seems unsure of her back left leg (then absolutely fine again). I'm fairly convinced it's not something serious now, but I'm not a qualified vet.

Thanks to you both for your advice.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

My cat Pip was 6 months old when she decided to take a trip out of the first floor window whilst exploring the windowsill, we were at home and my ex saw her go out but couldn't get to her quick enough to stop her. We took her to the vet but she had no injuries at all.
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by exlibris »

Update: Twitch is back to normal, leaping about everywhere and no longer hiding. Thanks to everyone who was concerned.