Poorly cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
joolz42
Frequent Cat Chatter

Poorly cat

Post by joolz42 »

Hi there
I have had to take my puss chloe to the vets today after her breathing was quite fast yesterday.She is 15 and apart form that still runs around and gets up to mischief!
The vets has just called me, he has given her some oxygen and managed to x ray her, they have found fluid on her chest and in her abdomen,which isnt good :(
They are now going to try ans drain the fluid and take a sample to analyse,she will be in overnight,never been apart before today :( :(
The vet said likely to be heart failure or poss a mass some place, i am so distraught, i can barely type for the tears.
Has anyone had anything similar happen and if so what happened/outcome etc.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Poorly cat

Post by sarie »

Oh I'm so sorry she's so poorly Joolz. I haven't got any advice regarding her illness but I just wanted to pass on good vibes to you and let you know I'll be thinking of you and your puss this afternoon xxx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Fingers crossed it shows something easily treated. Heart failure sounds bad, but with medication, cats can live for years with it.
joolz42
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by joolz42 »

Thanks for your support, i am finding it so hard, i have come home form work as just cant carry on as normal not knowing whats happening and i feel so bad not being with her. :(
joolz42
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by joolz42 »

update for Chloe

i had a call from vet and they have drained fluid and are suggesting it is a heart related issue rather than cancer etc. if this is the case, they are going to sort out medication for her to take,still breathing faster than should be but hasnt started any medication yet, so im hopefull for her.i have been advised that in total will be looking at around £800. Im covered with Animal friends pet inbsurance although never used them as yet,after two years.Im hoping theres no probs as read some really bad reviews about them on line!
Thanks for the good vibes on here, there working, so please dont stop! xx
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

That's really good news Joolz, I'm so pleased it's not cancer - her heart condition should be something you can manage so hopefully she'll be much improved in no time. I'm sure your insurance will pay out as it's a fairly clear cut situation as far as insurance is concerned :)

Do keep us updated once you get her home, still sending all the vibes! :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I am glad that Chloe's problem is treatable. Everything crossed that the Insurers cover your costs. Thinking of you both, fusses to Chloe.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Catfan5 »

So pleased Chloe's condition is treatable, must be a big relief. It's such a worry when our furries are poorly.
Eliz+Cats
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Eliz+Cats »

Sending purrs and prayers for your kitty's return to good health.

(((Hugs))),

Eliz x
joolz42
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by joolz42 »

I'ts the second day chloes been at the vets now, i had a call end of the day yesterday for an update and i was told a fiull blood count will need to be done to check thyroid/kidneys as sometimes an issue there with CHF. I was asked if im happy to go ahead advising me of costs etc, i will do anythingi can to help chloe.
I had a call this morning form a different vet and was asked if happy to be referred to cardiologist and they will need to call my pet insurance company for a pre authorisation form as cost looking to be over £1000 easily.i again told the vet yes go ahead as need to see what the heart is doing/like for medication to be sorted out.
The vet seemed unsure about pet insurers and asked me twice did i want to wait to see if they agree im covered befire going ahead with more treatment, i said no as ive never claimed before and chloes never had any health issues in the past other than a skin condition and a urine infection, so i should be covered with out a doubt!
Chloe is stable and has had fluid drained and is on directics and oxygen,but i am panicking and worried whats next and the vet has made me doubt the pet insurers!! :|
I have dealt with health issues before, my last pussy cat jassie passed 6 years ago and had diabetes/kidneys failure and eventually found she had liver cancer and nothing more could be done, I coped with looking after her,as we all do with our babies and i know i will get thru this with chloe, i just feel overwhelmed and hope i can do my best for her, i am a stressy person generally,which doesnt help! :?
joolz42
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by joolz42 »

Hi there
has anyone any experience of an older cat with CHF? i wondered if they stay on directics for life or just to begin with, then just take the medication for the heart problem.
i havent heard anything back since dinner today, i'm too scared to call vets, i was hoping that shed be home today as was told this yesterday when vet called. :?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm sorry, but I have no experience of this - all I can do is send positive vibes. xx
joolz42
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by joolz42 »

Hi
Im going to pick chloe up today from the vets at 4.30. :D The heart scan did reveal senior heart disease, but there going to explain more to me later and go through medication etc.
It seems blood tests were all normal for kidneys,thyroid, red/white blood cells and it is her heart that isnt contracting properly and is causing the problems she was getting.
Does anyone know if i will need to change her food,i know low sodium food is best, i wanted to feed lilys kitchen food as seems pretty good,expensive but i'd do anything for my babies! I checked out the ingredients for lilys kitchen and i noticed sodium selenite,when i googled this,there was alot of negative stuff about how its toxic in pets foods and shouldnt be added,this has panicked me now!!

I know i need to ask the vets regarding food, but i also know that vets seem to promote Hills prescription foods(experienced this with my last pussy cat jassie who had diabetes)i dont think there any good and are packed with cereal etc.

Any advice 'd be most gratefull xx
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I can only suggest you check out the ingredients of the foods on Zooplus - it's the best place I know of for providing a comprehensive listing, and although tedious to go through food after food, you might find what you're looking for

if you can find a safe quality dry food she likes, you could supplement it with white fish and cooked chicken breast, which cost less than most good wet foods
joolz42
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by joolz42 »

Chloe is back home,which is great,the cardiologist gas gievn me a load of leaflets and info and i feel so overwhelmed, i have been crying my eyes out the past hour.
Chloe is lying in kitchen and doesnt seem interested in her food,the vet said the same.My chloe has always been a little on the cuddly side and has always eaten and wanted more, if had her way!
I have been told she has end stage congestive heart failure, i am so distraught and really need to focus but i am struggling so much.
I read cats stop eating towards the endand i am paranoid i am going to get up and find her one day,any help glady appreciated :( xx
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I'm so sorry, Joolz

but if you do get up one day and find she has passed in her sleep, is that really so bad? we would all want an ending like that

meanwhile love her loads and keep her comfortable, make plans for what you will do if she suddenly worsens, and try to remember all the good times
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I don't know what to say, just so sorry to hear the news. I can only echo what Kay has said. Hugs to you and gentle fusses to Chloe.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm so very sorry to hear this, but Kay is right. The best you can do for her is keep her as comfortable as you can. Is she eating anything at all? When mine have been poorly I can usually get them to take cooked chicken from my hand, or a little of their favourite wet food with a little warm water added. Give her a gentle fuss from me. xx