Engine oil in fur

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Engine oil in fur

Post by cathyday »

Hello Team
Does anyone know how to get engine oil out of cat fur? H has just appeared with a large patch between his shoulders.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Engine oil in fur

Post by sarie »

Washing up liquid.. use it almost neat and rub it in gently then rinse off. Make sure you rinse it thoroughly though otherwise he'll have something else gross to lick at :)

You'll probably need to repeat the process quite a few times to get it all out unfortunately but hopefully he's tolerant ! Good luck :)

Also, if you don't have a lot of luck with just washing up liquid you can put vegetable oil on the area first and then try the washing up liquid afterwards to wash the whole lot off - the vegetable oil will loosen the motor oil and the washing up liquid should then remove it. Hopefully it's not that bad though!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

try baby wipes - you'd be surprised (and worried) about just how much they actually do remove :shock:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Considering the state my OH comes home in sometimes (he and a friend are 'doing-up' an old VW camper) I should be an expert at removing engine oil! :roll: Trouble is the stuff I use is too harsh for kitties. OH is trying to remember something he uses on his hands..... I will let you know if he remembers! Until then, the oil and washing up liquid is, I think, the best option. Good luck! :)
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by cathyday »

Thanks for your replies. I asked our vet & he kindly gave me a small bottle of cat shampoo. My neighbour came round to lend a hand & between us we managed to wash the oil out. I hope that our war wounds will heal quickly. Meantime H is now asleep on the settee.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

That's good news! :)
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

bobbys girl - the stuff he uses is probably Swarfiga :) Green goo with little grains in it.. it works a charm for getting engine oil off your hands, I have some in my car. I'm not sure if it's safe for kitties though so I didn't want to suggest it! :)

I'm glad you managed to get H clean, I hope the war wounds aren't too severe lol :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

sarie - I thought it was Swarfega but OH informs me it is called 'Gunk' :roll: -Though it is probably something similar, he says it's less harsh on the skin (poor lamb!) :lol: