Advocate & Milbermax

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Advocate & Milbermax

Post by meriad »

I need to worm my gang and given the size of the Drontal pills I asked the vet to get me some Milbermax as they don't keep it in stock. However, I got a call from them this afternoon saying they wouldn't get me the Milbermax because I use Advocate for flea control and apparently the two have the same active ingredient and it's therefore not safe to use the two together.

I've had a (albeit quick) look online and cannot see what active ingredient they have in common so just wondering if anyone else uses the two products for their cats and if all has been OK?

I know I could use Profender for worm control as well, but don't really like the way it sticks to the fur; and given that most of mine are long or semi long haired cats having an oral wormer is the better option for us.

So just wondering what combination of products you use?
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Advocate & Milbermax

Post by Catfan5 »

Hi,
Two of my cats who are long haired have advocate and then droncit every six months. Our vets don't stock Milbemax anymore only droncit, no idea why. I wonder if there was a problem using the two together as on the healthy pet club scheme, advocate and Milbemax were the two treatments that were specified. Of my other cats, all short haired, they have stronghold and profender. The trouble with droncit is that because the cats are large, over 5kg, they need 3 pipettes each!
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Jan »

Oh dear .. wish I hadn't seen this thread!

The vet told me that the Milbemax treatment is normally given every 6 months too but due to the fact that I haven't been able to use any Advocate for the last 3 months (due to Profender reaction), and had to use Comfortis instead, then I should go ahead and give him his Milbemax tablet 7/10 days after the Advocate.

Must admit I never liked the way Profender stuck to Blackie's fur either meriad - and in the 3 times I used it, he always had some fur loss, but on the 3rd occasion, the reaction was really bad - a LOT of hair loss and skin inflammation so won't be using it again.
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

We use Advocate and Milbemax at the same time on recommendation of my extremely trusted vets.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Jan »

Thank you Hunnybunny ... I feel better now :D

Jan
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Thanks Hunnybunny - I do find it a bit odd to be honest; and I've googled and just cannot find what the same active ingredient is and I was fairly certain a few on here have used the advocate with the milbemax without any issues.

I'll be collecting the drontal some time this week and will ask again
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by KittyWitty »

we use them both too!!