Lump on stomach. Abcess or tumour?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
shadow
New Cat Chatter

Lump on stomach. Abcess or tumour?

Post by shadow »

Our big squishy fatty Ferryn has developed a lump on her underside. To be fair this is the second one she has had in as many weeks. The last one disappeared over a couple of days. The current one is near the lower end of her ribcage right in the middle of her underside. It feels smooth and mostly round but is changing shape as it grows. It feels like its full of fluid but is quite firm and between the muscle and the skin. There is no visible wound or opening. She has been fighting. There is a pesky tom that keeps picking on both our cats and Ferryn gives as good as she gets. Our other little cat lost a rear claw and I lost £150 in vet bill thanks to that pesky tom! I know Ferryn has been scrapping as she is sporting a nasty bite wound on her ear that is healing nicely. Are the ear and her lump linked?
Is it an abcess or something more sinister? She is eating and behaving normally. Feels a bit warm but.otherwise shes fine. Playing and putting the dog in his place as normal ;-)
Eliz+Cats
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Lump on stomach. Abcess or tumour?

Post by Eliz+Cats »

Hello,

That lump might well be an abcess if Ferryn has been fighting, but I would definitely recommend a vet visit ASAP to be sure. (Is the lump anywhere near a nipple?)

I've had several cats that had tumours and early treatment definitely gives the best chance of survival.

And if it is an abcess then she may still need treatment (antibiotics certainly, but possibly also lancing).

Sorry, that wasn't much of a 'welcome', was it? So...
'Welcome!'
I'm new here too. Folks here seem really nice. :)

Eliz
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Lump on stomach. Abcess or tumour?

Post by hgale »

Hi and welcome to CatChat.

I have had very recent experience with abcesses but I got my cat to the Vet before a lump could form, so I'm not sure if this would be an abcess or not (I lost over £300, so I sympathise with your credit card too!). My late cat Kitten also had a stomach lump which turned out to be a tumour (when it started growing quickly, I had to make the hardest decision for her) so to be honest, as Eliz says I would get your cat booked in at the Vets as soon as you can so that it can be checked over. The part that makes me say this is the fact its changing shape and growing - Kitten's lump didn't grow at all for 9 months, then it grew 10% in just 1 month and started moving a bit.

Please give Ferryn a fuss from us, and let us know how you get on.

Helen and Denver