Odd behaviour

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
T Scott
New Cat Chatter

Odd behaviour

Post by T Scott »

Please can I ask for some advise.

I have 2 cats, Tabitha & Fern. I was told they were sister from the sister when I got them 2 a little over 2 years ago when they were 12 weeks old. Tabitha is fit and healthy, Fern has Scoliosis so her spine is twisted. It doesn't hamper her at all she climbs instead of jumps but is a very brave little thing. Both have been spayed and the vets found out that Fern only has 1 kidney when they opened her up. I feed the raw food and a high protein dry food, there's always plenty of fresh water around too.

Me and my girls recently moved in with my partner. We kept them indoors for 2 weeks used a Feliway room scent and after a few traumatic days they seem to settle well. They now come and go as they please, Tabitha is a little less brave than Fern but that's how it's always been.

My query is this, Tabitha has started bullying Fern and almost trying to keep her away from me and my partner. Even though when they were kittens they used to snuggle & groom together that stopped as they got older she seems to really hate her sister now.

Do you think this is all to do with the settling in process and just needs time? I am concerned that Tabitha is picking up on the fact Fern may be poorly and I am not noticing it. I don't want to put them in the cat carrier again so soon after moving them (it really stresses them out) so would rather not a trip to the vets but it may be necessary?

Any advise gratefully received.....thank you
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Odd behaviour

Post by Kay »

it could be Tabitha is having problems coping with having to share you with your boyfriend as well as her sister, and is therefore driving Fern away, as the easier target for her jealousy

it's not uncommon for cats to fall out as they get older though, especially females, so I wouldn't read too much into that

would it be possible for you and your boyfriend to have, as it were, a cat each, so they both get individual attention? the problem between them may well settle down with time, but it could help meanwhile
T Scott
New Cat Chatter

Post by T Scott »

Brilliant thank you for your advise, Tabitha is such a delicate little thing usually and this is such unusual behaviour. I will make sure Andy & I give her and Fern lots of extra attention and hope they settle down soon. :o)

it could be Tabitha is having problems coping with having to share you with your boyfriend as well as her sister, and is therefore driving Fern away, as the easier target for her jealousy

it's not uncommon for cats to fall out as they get older though, especially females, so I wouldn't read too much into that

would it be possible for you and your boyfriend to have, as it were, a cat each, so they both get individual attention? the problem between them may well settle down with time, but it could help meanwhile[/quote]
Beanie
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Beanie »

That is a really good suggestion by Kay to consider.

Some cats have transferred aggression which manifests itself to different degrees. I had not come across that before we adopted Barney. If he gets frustrated about anything. e.g. neighbouring cat on the roof or shed peering down at him, his tail flares up and he takes out his anger on humans or our other cats in the immediate vicinity. In Barney's case he was mistreated before he came to us and we have worked hard with him over the years to let him know that not all humans are unkind. The flared tail is a good pointer.

A Feliway plug in or room/bedding spray may help. They can be hit and miss and many people prefer to use Bach’s Rescue Remedy if that doesn’t work. BRR is more widely available at most chemists and less expensive: that is why you don't see it sold at the vets!! A few drops on cat bedding and toys can have a calming effect. ‘Pet Remedy’ de-stressing and calming spray is another alternative.

The only other thing that comes to mind is whether you have less room space since you all moved in together, which can cause tensions in animals as well as people. If possible, try to give Tabitha a special quiet ‘hidey hole’ where she can retreat to if stressed and where she can be alone.

Hope this helps.