Dustmite allergy

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
andtiggertoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Dustmite allergy

Post by andtiggertoo »

Soooo...getting the food allergies under control, but something is still setting off frantic itching in Millie, and I have a horrible feeling it might be dustmites, of which there will be millions and squillions in this house.

Has anyone had any success with sprays or anything to try to control dustmites?
lizzyh
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Dustmite allergy

Post by lizzyh »

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... mites.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi the above link might be of interest to you, hope it helps x
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

a very good article - thanks for that. I'm struggling with my Harry as well; he's constantly scratching and nibbling away at himself regularly pulling out chunks of fur. I'm currently trying to see if it's food so cutting out fish and cereals (to start with); but will definitely do more re the environment as well to see if that makes a difference.

andtiggerto, can you remind me what symptoms your Millie is showing?

thanks
andtiggertoo
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by andtiggertoo »

At the moment she is just scratching and nibbling for England.

With the food allergies, she used to be sick a lot, had terrible constipation, and blocked anal glands all the time. Most of those have cleared up with the exclusion of the six allergens we know about, but she is still scratching. I'm trying to get antihistamines down her, but am fighting a losing battle! Have sprayed the house with stuff that is supposed to kill dustmites, she has dustmite-proof bedding (sigh), and I'm hoovering more than I've ever hoovered in my life before, but it doesn't seem to be making any difference. It may be something else she's allergic to, of course. Who knows!
drayton
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by drayton »

My daughter is terribly allergic to dust mites.

I tried every spray & anti allegery remedy I could find. Finally I tried Fortefog fumers & they worked instantly. You can get them on Ebay & Amazon, they contain Permetherin, which is dangerous to cats, so you have to ventilate the room after use & keep the cats out whist you use them, but they kill dust mites 100%.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Those Fortefog fumers are very good, but because of the Permetherin I'd be very careful when using them. Make sure you use the right size of fumer for the room - they come in 3 sizes and you'll have to work out the square meterage of the room. Don't be tempted to 'overdose', they really do work at the treatment levels given.

Because the particles are so fine, they penetrate everywhere, so before using one I'd remove any bedding or soft furnishings that the cats might lie on. You can either hot wash, steam clean or freeze (ideally freeze it in a vacuum-sealed bag, minimum 48 hours) the bedding to get rid of the dust mites that way.

Good luck! :)