Antibiotic side effects

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Bellarocky
New Cat Chatter

Antibiotic side effects

Post by Bellarocky »

Hey guys. My cat started pooping outside her litter box. I noticed some blood in her stool. The vet put her on an antibiotic called baytril. Seems to help but now the antibiotic seems to make her lethargic and depressed. Has anyone used baytril on their cats? I'm just worried because she is usually very happy and hyper.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Antibiotic side effects

Post by bobbys girl »

I don't have any experience of that particular antibiotic, but when both Bob and Gracie have had AB's in the past they have both gone off their food. This was probably partly due to the infections for which they were being treated. But I think the AB's played a part too.

Hope your little one is feeling better soon. What is her name?
Bellarocky
New Cat Chatter

Post by Bellarocky »

Her name is Bella. I was told to take her off antibiotics. She seems much better. I've been working as a vet tech and the vet I work for has suggested to take her off meds because it may not be an infection. He thinks she's has been spiteful and stressed since I've been around other animals. She's follows me everywhere I go, very attached to me. So now I make sure to change before I come in the house so I don't stress her out. She seems fine now.
Beanie
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Beanie »

I have no first hand experience of this drug which has never been prescribed for any of our cats - past and present. I had a quick trawl of the manufacturer's site (Bayer) which was predictably unhelpful.

However, it has always seemed to me rightly or wrongly that the USA are much tougher with what veterinary and human information should be easily assessable in the public domain. With that in mind I found the attached which should give you the low down on the product and what to look for.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Baytril-prod10048.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps
Beanie
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Beanie »

Sorry. link a letter short in earlier post.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Baytril-prod10048.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;