Cattery conundrum

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Cattery conundrum

Post by Mollysmummy »

We're going abroad for 2 weeks at the start of October. We will have had our rescue cat for 2 months at that point, she's good with us now but doesn't like strangers and at her first vet visit last night was absolutely terrified and went back to how she was when we first got her for an hour or so after we got home.

I went to look at a cattery last week and it was just depressing. Tiny, uniformed cages with no personality. Tiny outside space. I just wasn't convinced. All the catteries in our area going by their websites look comparable to the one I viewed.
My husbands dad has offered to feed her for the 2 weeks while we're away so she can stay at home; my OH isn't keen on a cat sitter in the house.

I wonder what people do with their cats for a 2 week period, I'm worried she will go out her cat flap and not come home if there is nobody there for 2 weeks, but if we put her in a cattery she might think she's back in a shelter and undo all our progress. I don't know what to do for the best? Also if anyone can recommend and catteries in the south nottingham/North Leicester/derby area I'd be grateful!
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cattery conundrum

Post by Kay »

leaving her home alone for two weeks when she hasn't been with you that long could be a risk - and she would probably have more human contact in a good cattery

the important thing, I feel, is to find a cattery that does not take dogs, and to pay a visit before booking - October shouldn't be as busy as this month, so you probably have a little time to look - it's worth finding a good one if you go away regularly, as it will become familar to her

have you had a search here ? http://www.findpetboarding.com/boarding ... erbyshire/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a cattery which is on your route to wherever you're going could be considered too, as you could drop off and pick up en route
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

Looking at another tomorrow from that link, thanks!
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

I agree - leaving her alone (especially with an available catflap) is not a good idea. You need to find a good home cattery or a cat 'hotel' where there is a home environment but with lots of attention. Try your vets and other local vets for recommendations and I do hope you'll be lucky - I was and my ex-feral girl came back more relaxed and confident than before we went away for two weeks - the attention in a caring environment where she couldn't hide too much.
Beanie
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Beanie »

Well the way I deal with it is certainly not for everyone, which I totally accept. We simply don't go on holiday!

Having said that, the options are as outlined by others. I would only add the following:

1. The house sitter / feeding visitor
The advantage is that your cat can be in familiar safe surroundings and, as we all know, cats are not fond of change.

The main disadvantage is that I firmly believe that the cat should know the 'feeder' and not just be confronted with a strange face in her house, which can be threatening in itself. Any 'sitter' or 'visitor' should be carefully introduced at least a couple of times and play with the cat. Any proper pet sitter (as opposed to someone ONLY interested in making money) would suggest that. A good source of advice is your local vet, who more often or not have nurses on their staff who provide that service as individual contractors. It is also very important for a 'sitter'' / visitor to spend some quality time cleaning trays and playing with the cat. As a guide at least 30/40 minutes twice a day is what I would recommend. The cat should not be allowed access to the outside. I have spent numerous hours searching for a lost cat in these circumstances, as many cats feel that their home has been violated.

2, Catteries
You have already had a look at a cattery which is important. They vary considerably in what they offer and the degree of expertise.

I used to recommended that people consult the International Cat Care (formerly Feline Advisory Bureau) Guide to seek good standard catteries which have been thoroughly independently checked and have excellent hygiene control (up to date disinfectants, proper sneeze boards, etc. )and systems in place for veterinary emergencies as well as knowledgeable properly trained staff who know what to look for and fully understand the needs of the cat. Unfortunately ICC stopped the on-going checks and maintaining the guide in about 2010 but the old web pages seem to be there (see link below) and provided the proprietors remain the same, it is a good indicator of what is around in your area which has previously achieved the highest accolade.

Hope this helps!
Beanie
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Beanie »

Doh!!

The missing link.... and I don't mean my brain!! :)

http://icatcare.org/advice-centre/cat-p ... atteries/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mollysmummy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollysmummy »

I've bitten the bullet and booked her in! Went to see a 2nd cattery last week and instantly it was miles better than the previous one. Testimonials on the website dated back 15 years so that has to be a good thing!

When I went the lady said all food was provided no matter how big an eater Molly is, and as all their single runs are booked she's offered me a double for the price of a single!

Still worried about leaving her but less so now I know she will be in professional hands.