My cat doesn't want to go out

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Christinajan
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

My cat doesn't want to go out

Post by Christinajan »

My cat is approx 8yrs old and I got him as a rescue cat about 5 yrs ago. He was always an outdoor cat and during the summer I would pretty much only see him for meals, whether it was day or night. I have just moved to a flat after him spending 6 weeks in a cattery (couldn't be helped unfortunately) and now after 3 weeks he still doesn't want to go out which I find unusual for him, and he hides behind the sofa when anybody comes in that he doesn't know. Any body have any ideas as to why? Thanks.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: My cat doesn't want to go out

Post by Crewella »

It's probably just going to take him some time to adjust to his new home. I moved at the beginning of the year, and expected my Merrick to be breaking the back door down to get out as he was the one of my gang who most loved to be outdoors. It actually took him about 5 months to settle in and start to feel like going out, but now he loves it again, just as he used to. He's been through a big upset with the move as well as his stay at the cattery, just be patient and let him do it in his own time, he'll get there! Give him a fuss from me, and Merrick. :)
Christinajan
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Christinajan »

Hi Crewella and Merrick
Thanks for your reply, very helpful and I will give him lots of space and time to settle in and maybe one day he will want to go "exploring" again. :)
Beanie
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Beanie »

Hi,
What we all sometimes forget is that cats like routine and do not like change. They work far more on smell as a means of comfort or fear. Their sense of smell goes way beyond the human range of smell.

Your cat will be getting used to the smells in his new home; he will be aware of the smells outside, which can cause fear as their are bound to be other cats in the new neighbourhood which he can smell, although we don't necessarily detect unless it is, for example, it is the strong scent of an un-neutered tom cat. New acts and accompanying smells can make him feel threatened. Your home is his sanctuary where he knows that he will be safe.

Give him time. Let him do it in his own time. When and if he is ready, initially spend some quality time with him outside to help his confidence. If he doesn't want to venture outside, it is not the end of the world! Whilst he is indoors spoil him some more and, if you don't already, give him some more toys, scratching post, climbing frame to stimulate his interest and compensate for his chosen indoor life.

Hope this helps.
Christinajan
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Christinajan »

Thanks Beanie.

In a turn of events....he did go out and then went missing for 2 days!!!!

I only got him back coz I found him at my old place.

Do you think I should keep hi min a bit longer and then take him out with me...I have a harness and lead?

Thanks for all and any replies
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Yes to both, as his old area is obviously not far away - he needs to get used to his new 'outdoors'. Good luck! :)
Christinajan
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Christinajan »

Thanks Cewella.

How much longer do you ink it should keep him in for!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'd probably start again and try to keep him in for another 3 weeks or so.
Beanie
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Beanie »

Hi Christinajan,

I would also keep him in for 3 weeks as well. Personally, I do not like a harness. Too many cats that I know of have easily wriggled out of a harness, even from some experienced cat owners. They sound like a great idea but I would urge caution in your decision.