Jaw discomfort

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
TriciaB
New Cat Chatter

Jaw discomfort

Post by TriciaB »

I have recently acquired a beautiful 3 year old British blue shorthair. She has settled in remarkably well but has, since she arrived, on some occasions become distressed when eating or just randomly. She paws the side of her mouth as if trying to release something and then rubs her at her jaw. She is obviously in pain because she cries and runs away when it happens. I have taken her to the vet who gave her mouth, teeth and jaw an extensive examination and she can find nothing apparently wrong. She has a slight chip on one tooth but did not seem distressed when the vet touched this. The vet has suggested leaving it for a week and then prescribing an anti inflammatory and if this doesn't work she will take her in and x ray the jaw. Has anyone experienced anything similar with their pet? I hate to see her distressed and would welcome any advice.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Jaw discomfort

Post by Diana »

I am in a similar boat. My cat is currently struggling to eat and is making a awful grinding sound when she does....and she is on soft white fish. Vet checked her mouth and all was fine. So we are going back.

As brilliant that vets are..sometimes they just cant see far enough and so they need to be sedated to have better look. I suggest you go back sooner and in mean time try cat milk or soft white fish.
notjustacat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by notjustacat »

Hi Tricia B. I had two cats that pawed their jaw when eating and on both occasions it was a tooth problem. Perhaps you should get a second opinion.
Beanie
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Beanie »

Our cat Tiggy had similar.

Did the vet examine your cat under mild sedation? That is more thorough than a visual clinical examination in the surgery. If so, the vet can reasonably rule out many things which is comforting.

Whilst the vet should have checked, satisfy yourself that there is no inflammation on or around either lips. Sometimes owners including me can miss that because of the colour clash of the gums and lips masking any external inflammation. I am leaning towards thinking from your description that it may be an allergy or a bite from a wasp or similar insect. If it is inflamed, you can simply get some cotton wool balls and dip them in hot water. Gently dab the lips a couple of times a day and the inflammation should go.

However, if it is as a result of an insect bite or sting the vet should be able to give a long lasting (14 day) antibiotic injection to kill any infection.

Having said all that, I am not trying to outdo your vet but I know that in the practice we use, not all vets are equal in their clinical assessments!!!

Hope that might help and you get to the root of the problem.
TriciaB
New Cat Chatter

Post by TriciaB »

Well after extensive blood tests and x rays, a large cyst was discovered behind the back tooth which meant she had to be in severe pain when chewing. This was drained by the vet and antibiotics administered.The biopsy has come back with no signs of cancer thank goodness but further blood tests are needed to rule out a couple of other ailments. However she is now eating well and has renewed energy - I can't believe the breeder did not notice this!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so glad you got to the bottom of the issue - I'm sure she'll feel a lot better now. :)