Cat won't come in house after new kitten arrived

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Triciarob
New Cat Chatter

Post by Triciarob »

I have 2 cats. A boy who is 9 yrs and a girl who is 4 yrs. have had both cats from kittens. Last week we got a new kitten. The older cat who is very laid back comes in and eats and will stay in the room when the kitten is around. But the girl cat will not even come in the house. We have to feed her outside. She has a covered car port in the garden and Katcabins so she has shelter and warmth. She will eat outside but will not come in the house. This morning she came in the kitchen, the door was shut so no access to the house, She can sense the kitten, growled and ran out. This has been a week now and I don't know what to do. She is purring when we fuss her outside but refuses to come in, even with treats. The kitten has settled in really well and is eating and using litter tray.
Advice would be grateful. I realise that the 2 cats may not be best of friends but I want her to come inside. :( :(
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat won't come in house after new kitten arrived

Post by Kay »

poor girl - she clearly feels she has been driven out of the house by an interloper

can you lay your hands on a large dogcrate, which you could put the kitten in for part of the day, whilst your girl can sniff around and get used to the enemy - in her eyes! - without feeling any threat

if she would resent being forced indoors you could even set the crate up outside whilst the weather is fine
Guinevere
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Guinevere »

My experience is girl cats don't like other girl cats in their house!

Having said that, resident cats will often keep at a good distance initially until they get used to the idea and the kitten calms down a bit. Cats do all this in their own time - as they do everything else!

I am sure once the weather turns colder, your girl will want to come in and snuggle up.
AngieB
New Cat Chatter

Post by AngieB »

I too need advice regarding this matter.
I recently had 2 x 2 year old cats, 1 male & 1 female sadly several weeks ago my male got killed in a car incident near my home. We have all grieved including my female cat.
My female cat was back to being her loving self so we decided on getting her new friends. The introduction of the new kittens, a male and female really has'nt gone well. Now my beloved cat won't come into her home anymore, feeding outside etc, staying out in all the bad weather, visiting when she's hungry, its breaking my heart.
How can I get her to come home 🏡 xx
Kizzy Catwoman
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Kizzy Catwoman »

I am in the same boat with Tiny. We got Snerd in August and kept him upstairs for the first 2 weeks. We tried to introduce him slowly. The other cats hiss at him but basically ignore him. Tiny acts like she is scared of him. She was coming inside, seeing him and running out. I blocked the cat flap a few times to keep her in and had Snerd taken upstairs so she could have space away from him. Lots of cuddles and treats. But now she won't come in at all. Eventually she came towards me from next door but would not come to me. She adores me normally and will always love me up. Now she looks angry and is keeping away from me. I ahd to feed her outside as I hadn't seen her in 25 hours and was worried about her.

She gobbled down the food but then walked off next door again. As I called her she stalked away from me.

I am so gutted. She is the closest cat to me. When I was in hospital for a month his time last year she pined for me. When i came home she wouldn't leave me for weeks. We have been close since she was 5 weeks old.

Now she is rejecting me. She even hissed and growled at me a few days ago. I bought feliway as that is supposed to help. But nothing is helping Tiny. I can't get rid of the kitten. He is so sweet and innocent. There are 6 cats in the house, so she is not an only cat.

I am gutted and don't know where to turn next.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Hi AngieB and Kizzy, it would be easier to help you guys if you each started a new topic rather than both resurrecting the same old thread!
Erincraiigx
New Cat Chatter

Post by Erincraiigx »

Hi, I just got a new kitten she is 8 weeks old, the exact same thing is happening to me although my cat comes in at night, I’m wondering if things ever got better for your cat? And how long it took her to get used and accept the new kitten :)
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Erincraiigx wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:03 pm Hi, I just got a new kitten she is 8 weeks old, the exact same thing is happening to me although my cat comes in at night, I’m wondering if things ever got better for your cat? And how long it took her to get used and accept the new kitten :)
Can you tell us more about your situation? The last two members who had problems never came back after asking their question, and the first two haven't been here in over 3 years, so unlikely any of them are going to be available to answer you.

Have you just brought the kitten in or are you doing slow introductions with the new kitten isolated?
Wolfcharmed
New Cat Chatter

Post by Wolfcharmed »

If anyone can offer advise I would appreciate it. I have an 11 year old and brought a kitten home a week ago. Things were going fine but sloe new kitten shut in front room and resident cat having run of house originally staying in bedroom then slowly getting adventurous coming downstairs to use litter tray and to find me for cuddles. Resident cat is both indoor and outdoor so tonight when she came downstairs I though I would open back door for her show her she is allowed outside still and then gave her treats in kitchen to reward her for being brave but I mustn't have latched the front room door properly and before I new it kitten was next to her while she was eating her treats so she hissed at him then ran outside. I now can't entice her in with her favourite treats and grabbing her swaddled in a towel was a total fail. She will not come in. I'm willing to give up the kitten if she can't get used to him but think its just my stupid fault she was face to face with him before she was ready
Wolfcharmed
New Cat Chatter

Post by Wolfcharmed »

:D :D UPDATE :D :D went bed left kitten not only shut in front room but shut in crate in front room then left back door open with wax warmers on and a trail of treats from door up the stairs and she's followed it in so I shut back door and now going slow from step 1 again to see if she'll get used to kitten
Ilovemycats555
New Cat Chatter

Post by Ilovemycats555 »

Hi I am currently having the same problem and needing help ASAP, I have currently got a kitten (unsure of age, wasn’t told when I picked her up) and my cat tigger who is 5years old will not come inside because she can smell the kitten. I love her with all my heart and i cry every time she’s not inside.

It is currently winter and I worry for her so much. She’s come in the house 2 times because I make sure to catch her when I get the chance but I feel as if that is driving her away more. Also she’s had accidentally seen the kitten and they both hissed at each other.

Yes she’s and outside cat she only stays in my little area of neighbours and knows never to go on the road or in front of cars, I could say she’s had a very old soul since she was a kitten.

My parents also said if my baby tigger won’t come inside I’ll have to let go of the kitten but I really can’t do that since I have already formed an attachment to the kitten, I cannot let go of both of them I love them with my soul. I JUST MISS MY CAT TIGGER PLS IF ANYONE CAN HELP! If you have any tips