Help With Ruby

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
RockRollDie
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Help With Ruby

Post by RockRollDie »

Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't posted much recently, life is very very busy at the moment.

Some of you may remember that a month or two ago we rescued a beautiful 5 year old called Ruby and she has come out of her shell so much its unbelieveable. She is no longer constantly hiding she loves being around us and is always very very chatty and an ultimate diva, spends more time washing herself and looking in the mirror than my Mrs!

I have a new problem though and its actually making me really sad because I'm worried she isn't 100% happy. (sorry for another essay, I like to be thorough)

She has always, through choice of her own been a house Cat. When our friends had her his two other cats used to come and go all the time but she stayed inside and over the five years the furthest she ever ventured was the front step of the house and even then it was more curiosity.

Thursday eve she started meowing at me in a "Come here" kind of way, so I followed her and she kept meowing and looking over her shoulder to make sure I was following and we got to the front door and started trying to pull it open. (We live in a block of four flats, two down two up) I looked at her and said there was nothing interesting out there and at the same time someone downstairs opened and closed their front door which was enough to scare Ruby and she ran back in the house to which I thought "See you don't really want to go out there". At first I thought maybe it was because my Mrs had gone away for work for a few days and it was roughly an hour or so after she comes home and maybe she had been looking or waiting for her.

Then on Friday, a bit later in the evening I had a friend over and she did the same again. Because there were two of us around and I could see the downstairs door was shut I thought I'd open the front door and see what happend. She crept out and had a look around, stuck her head through the banisters looking down to see if she could make the jump. She jumped up on the window ledge and took a look out of the window and then wanted to go downstairs, this I wasn't too keen on just yet so put her back inside and she (seemingly) happily walked back inside and sat up on her rug.

A few mins later she noticed the front room window was open, (the "Main Panel" of the window doesn't open, but the top panel pushes out) so she jumped up on the window ledge and was standing on her hind legs to try and get her head to window level. after a few mins she got down and wandered off.

Over the next few days she has tried to take both of us to the front door a few times and when going in or out she has tried to look and see if she can get through.

Last night the top window was open again and she jumped up to have another look, this time she jumped up to the open panel and was balanced on the window frame, head out and looking down outside. We let her do so for a min or so just for her curiosity but then she looked like she wanted to jump out so we grabbed her which caused a bit of a kerfuffle as she got herself tangled in the blind.

She sulked for an hour or so before talking to us again.

I'm really worried that shes not happy being inside and really wants to go outside. My first and main thought is that she has no street smarts, she's nearly 6 and has never been outside more than a few feet from the front door of her old house and the upstairs external hall way of ours. We live on a busy main road and she loves to watch the cars from our bedroom window at night, especially when the lights are on (one of her fav night time crazies is to run between every room, run to the window ledge, swat and cars and repeat) and the window she tried to get out of faces the same place.

I don't think she can be particularly bored, we both play with her and her toys several times a day, before meals and before bed, I leave the odd treat hidden around for her to find during the day and move them so they aren't in the same place. She doesn't seem to care for catnip (trust me to get the cat that doesn't like catnip) and other than the last few days trying to escape she seems happy with everything else.

It genuinely breaks my heart to think she might not be happy... thoughts please feline lovers :( xx
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Help With Ruby

Post by Kay »

I don't think she's unhappy - in fact cats don't have any concept of happiness or unhappiness

what she is is curious - and you'll know the old saying 'curiousity killed the cat'

so stay firm - and if you want to give her a sniff of the wide world whilst staying safe you could try her on a harness and lead - not every cat will take to it, but it wouldn't cost much to give it a try - just sitting on the outside doorstep and letting her wander on the lead might be enough for her - and you for that matter
RockRollDie
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by RockRollDie »

Thanks, I would try the lead thing but the reason we rescued her is because a little girl tried to hang her on several occasions and strangle her on another so she is VERY wary about having anything around her, even her own tail lol
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

you could try the sort of harness which wraps around like a coat, with the lead attached to the back - the big advantage with those, apart from being very secure, is that the cat can get used to wearing the coat indoors before trying it with the lead

like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/XCat-Cat-Harnes ... at+harness" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;