Neighbours cat is attacking my cats

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Noshalot
New Cat Chatter

Neighbours cat is attacking my cats

Post by Noshalot »

I am writing this on behalf of a friend. She has two 9 year old castrated male cats that are brothers. She lives in a small rural village and her cats have access to outdoors. Several months ago her neighbour's 4 year old castrated male cat has become very aggressive to both of her cats. Every time they go outdoors they are physically attacked often requiring veterinary attention for bite wounds. The neighbour's cat has now started entering her home via windows and doors and attacking her cats within her home. Her cats have now become very nervous and are displaying clear signs of stress. She also has 4 dogs and this cat will also attack them and shows no fear of them.

She has approached the owner of the cat several times to try to resolve the issue, who provided her with a water pistol do squirt at the cat to frighten him away. This has not been successful and the cat totally ignores being squirted with water.

The cat's owner is taking the stance that it's a cat's natural behaviour to wander and fight over territory and she can not be held responsible for her cat's behaviour outwith the home.

My friend now feels that in order to give her cats a peaceful life she may have to rehome them, which would be devastating.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to resolve a situation like this. Could she give the cat's owner the vet bills and force her to pay them? Can anything be done to curb the aggressive cat's behaviour? Ive advised her to speak to our local SSPCA Officer and to our local Cat's Protection to see if they can offer any solutions. I've also suggested purchasing Feliway diffusers to see if they will help her cat's in coping with the stress.

They are living in a rural area and the two homes are not adjacent and are separated by several fields.

Many thanks

Norah
claire_lee
Experienced Cat Chatter

Re: Neighbours cat is attacking my cats

Post by claire_lee »

It sounds like she won't get very far with the owners of this cat - is it neutered?

Would cat proofing her garden be a solution ? There have been other threads on cat proofing and a number of people on here have done it for various reasons. It may be expensive but the cost could be offset by the vets bills they are currently incurring.

Do her cats have access indoors via a catflap? If so would it be possible to try a microchipped one so that only they can access it - this would at least give them a place of refuge.

The only problem with both of these suggestions is that the catproofing would have to be done really well to avoid the rogue cat being trapped in the garden. The microchip catflaps can also be a bit hit and miss.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Neighbours cat is attacking my cats

Post by bobbys girl »

We have a similar problem - though no where near as bad! We too live in a very rural area and have a neighbour some 1/2 mile away with a horrible cat (I know some kitty lovers won't like that last remark, but there are some rogues out there). We call him Nasty Cat. He turns up now and again, causes havoc then moves on. I know the owner's son-in-law. He says it is a neutered rescue cat and that the owner rues the day she took him on. :shock:

The only thing I can suggest is that you put a few drops of shampoo (mild stuff) in the water pistol. That way when he stops to wash himself, he might associate the unpleasant taste with you and yours and not come back! I know that might sound mean to some people, but the welfare and happiness of MY kitties takes priority over such a mean animal!

If anyone out there has a better, more permanent solution, I am all ears and am sure that your friend is too!