I think her time is drawing near

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: I think her time is drawing near

Post by Diana »

My girl is just losing the fight. We are going to have to syringe food in, has anyone had experience with this?

We gotta get the food in her to get her through to Tuesday. I am willing her on, on my knees praying that a miracle comes.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

Diana....my parents followed the advice on here when their cat became very ill, hope it helps, sure others will have more experience soon :-

Feeding techniques:

So, now that you have determined that your cat needs to be force fed and you have acquired a liquid food and syringe (s), the next step is to feed your cat.

Start out by mixing the food powder with water in a small bowl or, if you are using liquid pour into the bowl. Start with about 1/3 cup. Place the bowl in a larger bowl of hot water. You want to warm, not heat the food and keep it warmed at least to room temperature throughout the feeding process.

Make sure you have a towel for your lap and small towel (s)or washcloth(s) for cleanups. Wet one side with warm water and keep one side dry or use two.

I usually force feed in the bathroom, as it’s the smallest room in the place and if the cat gets away, we don’t have to pull him or her out from under the furniture! I sit cross-legged on the floor, but you should just get comfortable. Cover your lap with the larger towel.

Pick up your cat. I don’t know any cats that like to be placed on their backs, but you must be able to get at his face comfortably. See what works. I usually try a sort of on the side and half-upright position for kitty.

Fill the syringe with the food and insert the tip into the side of the cat’s mouth. This is important, because if you come in from the front, you can accidentally squirt the food into the cat’s throat and cause choking.

Hopefully at this point your cat will take the food in small amounts, swallow and be ready for more in a moment. Some of the food will drip down the cat’s face. This will always happen but is especially true if the cat is struggling. Wipe the food fairly carefully with the warm cloth. If you allow the food to dry on the fur, it will be difficult to get off and, after a few feedings, cause the fur to come off in clumps along with the dried food while you are attempting to clean it. Inevitably, if you have to syringe feed your cat more than a couple of times you will see some redness around the mouth. Try to vary the position of the syringe so it doesn’t rub too much in one place.

If your cat does fight, try wrapping him in another towel. Do it gently but firmly enough that he can’t flail around or scratch and run away. If your cat really protests you might want to wear gloves to save your hands. Most cats, even fighters, will relax somewhat when they realize that the food tastes good and their not being hurt.

Keep the process up until you have fed the amount given on the label of the food product as appropriate for your cat’s size and weight. At least do your best! A bit more or less is ok, give or take. We just want kitty to get some food in and get used to it. It should get easier with each successive feeding session.

If you are using this technique for hydration, it should be easier. You don’t have to do it as long, you don’t have to mess with food products, you just have to pull some lukewarm water into the syringe and go from there. You should check with your vet regarding the amount of water to give your cat in your individual situation. But you can’t really over-hydrate. If at a loss, try one syringe full given several times each day until your cat’s dehydration condition clears up and/or your cat transitions to a new diet that provides sufficient hydration.

Force-feeding and Syringe-feeding are scary sounding terms. But really, this is pretty easy and can save your cat’s life. Think of it somewhat like feeding a baby. Good luck!
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Thanks for that advice. We are gonna have to give it a shot. She needs to get through to Tuesday as comfortably as she can. I know we will struggle but we gotta do it for her.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

I know it will be hard, I watched my Dad do it many years ago, to our old cat, Sadie, she had terrible cat flu, having been found almost frozen to the ground in the middle of winter when she went missing, the vet advised my parents that she must be put to sleep as she would not last more than 24 hours.......my Dad sat up all night, force feeding through the side of her mouth, wrapped her in a blanket in front of the fire....this he did for 2 solid days and nights, just as we were losing hope, (her eyes were stuck together with mucus)....she started to respond to the feeding, she was ten years old....she died at 23 ......please don't lose hope, however bad things may seem....I am thinking of you both now ...whatever happens you have done everything you possibly can for Shelley, bless you...xx
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Thank you. Shelly is approx. 11/12 yrs old. We have had her near on 10yrs. She is still young at heart.

I will do this for her, will try and boost her as much as I can. It's so hard for me though because I know that day is coming and I am not working now for next 2 and half weeks. So I get to be by her side but at same time...I am thinking constantly of that day. Her bed wont be slept in anymore...her bowl no longer filled with food...I no longer be cleaning up her mess....won't hear her constant meow,...all these things. It hits me so hard when I lose my cats, I think of the what if's and I drive myself mad. I don't want to let her go...I just don't.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

I know just what you are feeling right now, this time 12 months ago, I was going through exactly the same, with my lovely boy 'CC' . We too took him to the vet on a Friday, a day I will never forget, to be told that he had an innoperable tumour on his tongue, I can not begin to tell you the feelings of utter helplessness and grief both me and my husband felt, I just could not put it into words.....we brought him home for the weekend with various tablets for palliative care only, it had to be the longest weekend of my life. He could not eat as the tumour was on his tongue, the only thing he could manage was tiny pieces of ham, which i mushed up. I had to rub an ice cube around his mouth to help him take water, my heart must have broken in two that weekend.

Shelley DOES have a chance though Diana and she may well just turn that corner now, but I so understand the feelings of "what ifs ?" that plague you, I was besieged with the same thought during thos few days, take comfort, as I do now, that you have always done everything capably possible, she couldn't have asked for more........always here anytime you need to vent...I understand....as do we all....xx
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Yes CC, I remember. I remember that story, cant believe I forgot. Bless him!

I will hold out hope, Shelly just ate a few kibles and tiny amount of Tuna. We have syringed cat milk into her 3 times already today. Tonigu we will try the food, we bought special food thats good for syringing...A/D. Her weight atm is slipping off so I gotta help her get through the weekend.

Thanks Julie...(correct name?)
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Oh Diana, that's good news ! At least she is trying to eat and the cat milk will certainly help, it sounds to me as though she is at least going to fight as best she can, take that as a positive, I know the next few days are crucial, but she may just suprise you......yes, it's Julie, I will be constantly in and out of here, and sharing every step with you.....xx
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Julie thank you so much. You have no idea how much you are helping me. It seems she is trying and I will try with her. I shall update as days pass.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Diana,

I've been following your chat with Julie. I really feel for you.

With regards to syringe feeding - is the A/D stuff Hills Recovery? We used that with Bobby when he first started taking so many tablets. He was a skinny, little thing and we wanted to build him up. We found swaddling him like a baby and feeding him a mix of the ground-up tablets in a mix of 'Recovery' and a few drops of hot water worked really well. He soon accepted the whole performance as quite normal, smacking his lips and washing his own face.

As Julie said it is best to feed to the side of her mouth. Then there is no fear of squirting it straight down her throat! I really hope this works for you and Shelly.

You are in my prayers tonight (hugs) and gentle fusses. x
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Bobbysgirl, what is your name? Im sorry lots of things are slipping my mind there days.

The A/D...its Hills, doesnt say recovery. Just Hills Prescription. We are going to try tonight. She seems tad perkier in last hr or so...I dunno if thats her picking up, or just having a good last few days, they say cats pick up before they know its their time. Also she has had literally a few kibbles of dry.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Hi Diana

I have just turned on the computer.

I am so pleased that Shelly is up to giving things another go.

Hills A/D is a very high protein pate food which is easy to syringe if needed. It is very palatable (apparently) and gives a lot of energy and nourishment from a small quantity.

Take care, however, because it is so rich it can make cats sick it they eat too much too quickly.

Fusses to your girl

Val xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

It's good that she is a bit brighter. I think the Hills stuff is the same (or very close) I have used it before with a cat that had been suffering with enteritis. She was stick thin. But she really loved her 'nummies' and put weight on very fast. I hope it is so with Shelly.

Really at this stage, whatever she will eat is good! With Purdy it was prawns (she is our little Prawn Queen :lol: ). My sister brought her cat back from the brink with some very cheap, ultra-processed turkey roll (as suggested by the nurse at her vets) I know you'll do anything it takes!

My name btw is Sue
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Great advice Diana from Val and Sue.........as long as she is getting some nutrition inside her, then that will build up her strength and give her the " fight" to combat this .......I feel as though I am going through this with you........hope you have a peaceful night .....xx
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

We tried to syringe with no luck. She just wont take it and the more we try, the more we stress her and I dont want that for her. This will be a long few days.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Oh Diana, that's a shame, just keep trying, what about the like e lix, chicken flavour, she may like the taste better.....I really feel for you....xx
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Well we tried again...no joy. But we syringed cat milk into her and she eat bit of chicken and dry food. She seems brighter and more responsive. Bit more alert so to speak, its hard atm. I dunno if she just enjoying last few days or she perking up. Like e lix....what is that? Am going PAH in couple hrs, do they sell it?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

Lik-e-lix is a malt paste in long thin tubes - most cats love it

you might find some other similar pastes in PAH too, and ones which contain vitamins and minerals might be very useful

natural yoghurt is another thing you could try
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Poor girl, it must be horrible trying to force food down her - at least she has eaten something. Hand feeding chicken is what usually works for my lot when they're poorly.

This is Lick e lix, though it doesn't come up on their website so I don't think PAH stock it.

http://www.webboxpetfood.com/Products/C ... Lick-e-Lix" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sending all the positive vibes I can muster - come on Shelly, you can do it. (((hugs)))
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

I buy my Lik e Lix in boxes of 6 at Morrisons !...Its a pound for a box, cats generally love it, its very soft liquid paste in a tube....think PAH do stock it, thoughhh I know most large supermarkets do....x
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

I will check PAH if not I will go Morrisons.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Try it Diana, it was the only thing my Moms cat Molly would eat not so long ago when she became very ill, and she was very old and pretty lifeless......its good news though that Shelley has taken some chicken, even just bits of that now and then will help, it's a good sign, stay positive. don't see it as a last rally before she goes, see it as a "I am going to fight this !" I know how hard it is though.....but you are doing your very very best for her.....xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Sorry Diana..meant to add it comes in a box with " Webbox" wrote all the way down on the left hand side, so you will notice it more that way...usually next to the cat treats, rather than next to the boxes/ tins etc....x
pandorawarlord
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by pandorawarlord »

it is good she has taken a bit of chicken and a few kibbles.
if she objects to the syringe may I suggest you use your little finger, dip it in some AD and she if she will lick it off, also try some milk in the same way.

Now this may sound quite mad but over many years I found various little things which helped cats to start eating again, ( must be ) tiny bits of:- dairylea cheese, marmite, sardine & tomatoe paste, chicken roll, chicken essence made into a gravy, the sauce in tins of pilchards.

I do have some of these items also a tube of Nutri-cal so if anyone is in the Bromley area and has transport to Diana please pm me and you can collect the stuff tonight
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Pandoraworlord.....what a lovely suggestion...how kind of you ...I wish I was nearer I would be there in a moment....bless you ...x
pandorawarlord
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by pandorawarlord »

I'm quite happy to put something together but I just don't have transport, maybe we all could do a relay then Diana can stay put with her fur-baby which is where we all want to be when there ill
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I've just discovered it's Royal Canin recovery.

Will Shelly take food from a spoon? I know it sounds silly but we occasionally give Purdy some 'recovery' to build her up (she has always been a skinny cat). She loves it if we feed her from a spoon like a baby. It is probably the extra fuss that she is getting, but she eats far more of it froma spoon than if we just put it in a dish! :roll: Funny girl - but if it works....

Sue
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

What a lovely idea. I drive myself but currently my car is having its alloys cleaned, so I don't have a car right now otherwise I would be there like a flash. Thank you for the thought.

I brought the lik e lick...she didn't take to it at all. Tried chicken again, no luck. It is hit and miss right now. The ups and downs are going through this house like a rollar coaster. I have tried all sorts but not much is working. Even tried Pilchards which is quite smelly, she had one lick and walked away. Shelly is more mobile atm and is walking about and even comes into the kitchen looking to eat and when I try, she walks away. Its breaking my heart right now.

I have tried the spoon technique, again hit and miss. Its becoming such a battle, she looks more happy in the last 24hrs and looks as if she is ready to eat then she doesn't. I am running out of ideas and I think I have used all my tears.
Last edited by Diana on Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

I live near Stratford on Avon, Warwickshire.........x
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Diana

at least she is trying to eat and that's good....when Barney gets poorly I usually put some really warm water mixed in his food as it tends to release the smell and taste......try it ....xx