I think her time is drawing near

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: I think her time is drawing near

Post by JulieandBarney »

Diana have you tried raw meat at all ?...Barney suffers with his bowels but raw chopped beef helps enormously and he loves it......x
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Diana »

Julie I tried that this morning with no luck. My Shelly is wasting away. I cant bare it.

I will keep trying and will not give up, it is s hard right now. I love that girl with every inch of my body, I just want her to be happy and comfortable. Raw meat...we tried it once months back, Shelly or my other two didn't take to it at all.
pandorawarlord
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by pandorawarlord »

Do you have any dreamies? if so just put 4 down in a dish and walk away
Do you have any RC exigent kibbles?
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Oh Diana....you are going through what my Mom went through a few weeks ago....and me too last year, when I bought CC home last year for the weekend it almost destroyed me.....I completely understand.....do as we did...fight for her this weekend, but I am going to be terribly honest, and I may get shot down in flames for this , but, when I saw my boy unable to eat or drink properly and his quality of life was terrible, I knew what was the right thing to do though it tore my heart in two...I couldn't see my boy suffer any longer....I hope Shelley fights this ...I really do...but if she is failing, please read this as I did last year ....everyone said to me "better a day too early than a day too late "

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.
HeatherG3000
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by HeatherG3000 »

JulieandBarney wrote: If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.
How lovely. I am in tears as I read. I had to put my baby boy to sleep last week and I would be at a complete loss without cat chat! It has helped me enormously.

Diana, i have been following your post all week. I am praying for you and Shelley as it is just horrible watching your loved one deteriorate before you. I hope she eats and makes a recovery. Wishing you all my love...
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Heather...it was so sad for you...but what a wonderful last act of kindness we do for them...no more suffering or pain, just a nice long, gentle sleep......xx
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Oh, Diana

I am so sorry for the problems you are having :(

When Luna was poorly we tried EVERYTHING we could.

Our fridge was full of all sorts of bowls of concoctions (chicken, chicken with gravy, mince, mince with gravy, A/D, tuna, tuna and chicken......you get the picture). If we could get her to eat a few mouthfuls that was a bonus.

I must admit, appetite stimulating medicine did have some success. We had the added problem of nausea following treatment and had to give her anti sickness meds.

I think the key is to keep her hydrated. They can last a few days without much to eat, but lack of fluid is more critical.

I appreciate that the difference for you is that you don't actually know what's wrong with Shelly. I knew exactly what was wrong with Luna and when there was nothing else to try.

You can only go with your vet and your own instinct with your precious girl. If she appears to be comfortable enough then that's good.

The way I looked at things was whether, on balance, Luna had more bad than good and we were unable to turn that around.

I continue to pray for your girl, and she turns a corner soon

Xx
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

That poem was so beautiful. I broke down and I couldn't respond yet,I just didnt know what to say. Yes our fridge is full of all sorts. We have tried and tried, and itis starting to be a battle. Shelly loved her food, she would scoff it down and look to me for more, but now....her gaze just doesnt show. Although she is more mobile and alert today, the food battle goes on. She had several licks of that lik e lick. We are syringing cat milk into her, as that's both food and fluids, so two in one.

You lot here have helped me and I come here knowing I have support. I think we are losing the battle. When I lose my cats, its like my heart breaks and breaks. My energy this week has been put into Shelly, I can't walk even ten steps without thinking of her.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

I couldnt walk when my darling CC came home this time last year......but I made myself do it... as you will Diana......love her and hug her and if Shelley wants to make it. she will, because you have done everything you can, bless you.......if not, then do the kindest thing you can for your girl......I totally understand....I know it hurts , it hurts me still, though I know it was the right thing to do......xxx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Diana, I'm so sorry for what you're going through with your girl. My heart is aching for you. We are all
Hanging in there with you. Xxx
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

(((((Hugs))))))

We were on leave for Luna's last week.

We had some lovely times amongst the heart break.

She crossed the bridge on 19/9/11.

We had an unseasonal warm spell that week. We had a new shed and chicken house delivered. Luna explored both, and had long lies in the warm sunshine.

I remember that week with her spirit of adventure with the shed and coop. I forget that these exploits exhausted her.

Three years on we only remember the good things most of the time. We were so hopeful during that time that she would pull through.

I won't describe the course of her treatment because it doesn't add anything for what you are going through. The only parallels are that we loved Luna and you love Shelly. We wanted with all our hearts for her to pull through, but deep down we knew when the doors were closing faster than we could open them. Only you and your vet know this with Shelly. You must do what's right for both of you. Again, I pray that an answer can be found.

My thoughts are with you

Val xxx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Diana, have you tried warming any food for Shelly? Xx
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Thank you, thank you all soooo much. I wish I could get a gift out to you all! You have been amazing. Sometimes I thought, boy dont keep posting as I am sure I would be annoying you. I know Tuesday will be the day and I will give her that final gift, I will do it for her, stop her suffering and allow her to spread her wings in Rainbow Heaven. We have a one mil syringe and we are given her one mil at least three times a day of cat milk. We don't want to give it more as we dont want to stress her.

As for warming, yes. Its just all hit and miss right now.

I believe she is more alert and mobile due to the long acting steroid shot she got yesterday. For the vets they believe it to be neuro, but me...no. I think its the lost of her best friend in 2011, Suschi. That's how I found this forum, I posted in the rainbow heaven section about the loss of my girl and I am so glad I found this site. When Suschi went I thought Shelly would struggle but I didn't see any signs,but the year later minor issues crept in. Couple bouts of cystitis, anal blockage, her back legs got weaker. I think over the last three years, its been creeping in. Maybe a MRI scan would show nothing....this could all be just pure heartbreak of losing Suschi.
Last edited by Diana on Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

See how she goes Diana., dont let her suffer if you think she is in pain.....let her go.....has she eaten any more .....x
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

She hasn't ate anything in last two hours but about five minutes ago we gave her milk. If Sunday and Monday carries on as it has been last few days then yes, I will let her rest. I won't let her carry on like this.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

(((Hugs)))

Diana, support is never far away.

We can't physically be with you, but most of us have been in a similar place to you.

We totally empathise with how you are feeling, and if you and your vet feel that the final act of kindness is the best course of action, then that is what you must do. Obviously, as an outsider I keep hoping for you that this is not the case.

Whatever happens, you must do what is best, and we are here to support you through that.

Xxxx
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

As you were with Luna, I am off work now for a bit so I have these last few days with her. Shelly during day sleeps in shed where its warm and where she has slept during day for last nine years or so.

My brother bless him loves Shelly to bits and she would always kneed him when he had her in his arms, she could sit there for hours and my brother would be left standing holding her lol. I wouldn't allow him to put her down,she enjoyed my brothers cuddles.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

It's good you have time off work to be with her. How are your other furbabes coping? Xx
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Evie and Timo doing ok. But Evie is meowing lots lately, much more then usual. And for a few hours a day, either Evie or Timo are sleeping right near her. But I think they are doing really well as they are eating fine, they are doing there usual things.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Just warmed some gourmet food for her and she has about three to four mouthfuls. She had about two licks of warmed up like e lick. I am heading bed now with Shelly to follow suit once my dad and brother have syringed some milk into her mouth. She will sleep soundly near me. Thanks for today all, will chat again tomorrow.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Diana that sounds good......I am keeping all crossed for you and Shelley.....xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm thinking of you too. Traumatic as it must have been, today sounds as though you did manage to get a reasonable amount into her - I hope and pray that she improves tomorrow.

Whatever happens, you have tried so very hard to help her. Nobody could have done more. ((((hugs))))
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

So sorry to hear your girl is in her last stages. Been there earilier this summer.
Mine wasted away for three years and had runs. I didn't care.
In feeding, what ever made her happy, she had. At this stage it really doesn't matter. Pleasure is what matters. Hers.
In Meuzettes last days I let her have anything she wished. Ice creme, yogart, made chicken broth for her without the salt and stuff people put in. She liked that. We had chicken feast with whole chickens too. She loved those wings. She'd suck them dry.
Hold her and comfort her. Let her know you are there for her. Let know its ok to leave. Sometimes I think they stay for us...
Jill
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

I'm so sorry to hear about poor Shelly Diana. I have been following this thread, and I'm sorry I haven't posted earlier.

I had that poem given to me in cards from my Vet when Kitten and Mischa died, and it brings a tear to my eyes too. I will be thinking of you both on Tuesday, but I hope Shelly improves - but if she doesn't, you are making the right decision for her. As Jill says, spoil her, if you want to take plenty of pictures (you will regret not taking more, I know I did for my 2), and love her.

{Hugs} from me and {nuzzles} from Denver.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

How is Shelley this morning Diana ?.......x
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hello Diana, these lovely posts are making me cry so I can only imagine how they are making you feel, but so much better then them not being here to read. Such loving people on good forum. How would we manage without it? I hope your precious girl can manage something special today. Glad to hear that your other furbabes are coping. Gentle kisses to Shelly and hugs to you. Xx
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Morning all

I am still laying in bed, Shelly dipped under my covers lol. My mum just gone down and took Shelly,breakfast time. Mum will warm the food for her and I will update. She had a good night and slept so soundly. Yes these lovely wordsdo pull at my heart.
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Diana. My heart goes out to you.

I'm sorry I haven't posted before. I have been following the thread though. I don't often post on the main forum anymore but felt I needed to let you know that I am thinking of you and sending my love and ((hugs)) at this difficult time.

Please know that you and Shelly are in all our thoughts.

xx
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Ok so my mum warmed some gourmet and she had a few mouthfuls and couple treats afterwards. I did notice that she dribbled a bit as a tiny flake dropped. We just gave her milk, she seemed ok with that. My brother is now believing that she slowly picking up as she looking much more wide eye.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I am really pleased to hear that Shelly has had some breakfast! Miracles DO happen.

Whatever happens know that you, your family and especially Shelly are in our thoughts today.

Sue xx