I think her time is drawing near

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: I think her time is drawing near

Post by Diana »

Maybe an IV drip is the thing that is needed. That will get her built up strong enough to be able to go under for an x-ray on her teeth.

Then again...she may drop down again after a few days which the vet suspects. I don't want her going in and out poor girl.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

I know Diana, but sometimes, we have to be cruel to be kind, it may be her only option, unless there are any vitamin injections, as you say, you are stuck between a rock and a hard place, if she continues to not eat then her kidneys will suffer, but if she takes on more tests then its also a gamble....I really feel for you....
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

This is really starting to sound like a teeth/mouth problem. Could it really be that simple?

nannymcfee - that is a very interesting idea. I wonder if that might be the problem? Hope you are feeling better now!

I will be thinking of you and Shelly tomorrow and praying you can get to the bottom of this.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

I have just a looonnggg chat with another vet. And the outcome is one I have fought so hard to not let happen. A spoke to another vet who has seen Shelly couple times before just to get another view or opinion. Now before I start I trust me vets...I have not ever doubted them, but only doubted myself.

The lady was really kind and went through in great detail what our vet did when Shelly was under. Basically our vet...Adele is her name checked everything...and left no stone un-turn. They probed her teeth, each and everyone.....her gums were fine...there was no lesions...no swelling, no redness...literally nothing that showed. She told me all that was done and it was a long list. In short terms...her teeth/gums and mouth are in pristine condition. She then went on to say that she believes it to be Neurological. She is the fifth vet to say this. The neuro surgeon at first glance when they saw a video of her thought it was muscle weakness but now with the appetite loss...he is starting to feel it could be an infection on the brain or possible tumour. Our vet had a chat with the surgeon at Davies hospital today.

The legs, combined with this and also her toilet issues...sometimes she would thump after going for a poop....could all point to a neurological issue. Our vets have done everything possible that they can do from there end to understand what is going on and she said as we all do..'better day too early then day too late'. I think I have now really resigned myself to that and I am just clutching at straws. I asked about FORL and she explained that in 95% of cases you would see some sort of signs in the mouth whilst under and nothing was found with Shelly. The partner at our vets, has got into the act now and has reviewed Shelly's case....a 6th person to comment...Neuro issues.

And just a few moments ago I witness something that scared the hell out of me, Shelly seemed as if she was gagging or chocking and then her head began to shake with her tongue hanging out and she then proceeded to walk in a circle a few times and her legs just looked as if they were going to get into a knot...I ran out to her and stayed by her side. She is ok now, like nothing happened. I just can't seem to find a way out of this and it's going to end a way I don't want it to.

The vet I just spoke to said that she felt it was time to let her go and even with a possible referral for scans, they may find something that is quite simply un-reversible. Would I want to send her there, put her through test after test only to then be told that nothing can be done? I would not let my girl go through that...never.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Oh Diana, I was so praying that this would not be the case...but the behaviour you have just witnessed would appear to be to do with the brain.......I am so so sorry, but yes, better a day too early than a day too late, she would thank you for it if she could, bless you, you did all you could for Shelley, this has upset me so much....xx
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

I knew deep down that I wont win this fight and that Shelly just wants to rest. But I was trying and trying and for her I would never give up.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Sorry, I don't know what to add Diana. Neurological problems in themselves are necessarily life threatening if a cat is eating OK and having a quality of life. If it were me, I would be going for the scan to rule anything out. Lazarus has some neurological issues lately. He is like a different cat. In his case, he has raised liver enzymes and the vet thinks it may be toxins in his brain. He is elderly and has multiple health problems and on a cocktail of drugs, so hard to tell. Sarah's Pip has fits, but she is fine in between having them.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

You did your best for her Diana, I really think that putting her through another barrage of tests when she is not eating and weak may be too much, in light of the neuro issues you have discovered.......your vet has already said that it's time to let her go peacefully, rather than make her suffer any more, I would do the same as you personally....xx
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Mark yes I get what you are saying. I would go for the scan but currently she is too weak to go under again. It would be such a risk!
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Follow your heart Diana, if it was my Barney, I would go with the vet......though it hurts, she needs some peace, if everything else has been exhausted....a thousand second opinions now may not help, I went through the same last year.....xx
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Julie I am with you. She needs peace now.

It will break me in two and I will cry for days, but I know that I did what was best for my girl. Thanks Julie x
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

I will be with you every step of the way tomorrow.....say goodbye and give her a hug....I sobbed on my vets shoulder this time last year, she was so lovely, I remember asking her "Maybe we could have had another day with him ?" .....and she said "Why ? to watch him suffer a little more...." ......our lovely boy is buried in our garden with a little bird table above his spot ....he loved to watch the birds from there......I loved him so much that I thought of him more than myself at the end and let him go in peace....not dying in pain or suffering...it was for him, not me....as you are doing for Shelley........xx
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

I'm so very sorry, Diana, if I was with you now I would give you a big {hug}. You have done everything you can for Shelly, so please don't feel guilty. Spoil her tonight, give her lots of cuddles, and know that everyone on here will be thinking of you both tomorrow.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

((((Hugs)))) Diana

I am so sorry you have not had more positive news :cry:

I will be thinking of you tomorrow, whatever you decide to do I know will be the correct thing to do for Shelly.

Xxx
pandorawarlord
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by pandorawarlord »

so sorry :cry: sending many hugs
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Everyone thank you. I know you all will help me through.

We tried and tried but she can fight no more. I cry every moment, my cats are my world. I remember when we adopted her so many years ago. She will be gone in about 14hrs. I will cuddle her and tell her I love her deeply.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Oh Diana. I am so terribly sorry. This is the kindest thing you can do now for your lovely girl. You know her best. You have been with her on this journey. She knows she is loved and adored. You have done all that you can possibly do for her. We are all with you and will have you and Shelly in our thoughts tomorrow. Sending you many hugs.

Carol Xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

She knows you love her Diana, you are giving her the final act of kindness and selflessness......give her a gentle kiss from all of us......I will be crying with you, as this is near to where I lost CC this time last year and Carol lost Harvey too just before...I am going to ask him and Harvey to stand and wait for Shelley at the Bridge, she won't miss CC with his wonky ears and handsome tuxedo..........take care .....xxx
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

I think my girl is drifting away. She is having bouts where she keeps gagging and at same time her face looks disoriented. Oh my girl.

Shelly will have her friends up there and she will get to meet new friends.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Diana, can you get to the vets early morning ?......This sounds so distressing....x
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

My thoughts are with you Diana. I'm sure you will do what is right and best for your girl x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

You've been through a rotten time, and you've tried so hard for her, bless you. Thinking of you (((hugs)))
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

Hope things work out. Its not the best of times.
Peace be with you.
Jill
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

We can get her there anytime. It looks worse then it is. We got her close with cuddles.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Give her a cuddle from me Diana......xxx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

So very sorry Diana. Thinking of you

Gentle fusses to your little girl and ((hugs)) to you.

Sue xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh Diana, I wish we were all there to hug you now. I am so sorry your girl needs to say goodbye. Hold her close tonight and for as long as you can tomorrow. We know how heart token you will be but you will have given Shelly the last gift of love. It is so very hard. Sending you and her all my love. Xxx
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Thank you all so much.
HeatherG3000
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by HeatherG3000 »

Thinking of you and Shelly xxx
JulieandBarney