I think her time is drawing near

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: I think her time is drawing near

Post by Diana »

I dont know. But we are going back to the vets Friday so I can ask. I wouldnt think so as the blood was a spec at worst.

So the latest is that Shelly still is not back to normal. She isnt eating much and still hiding and is not interactive as much, or at all. Vets said she ate well whilst there and seemed well. I wonder if she is stressed out at home? She isnt running away as much but she wont come to you like she did.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

I really believe my Shelly is slipping away from me. She is eating less and less by day and today I noticed the third eyelid showing when she was all but asleep. I have never seen her third eyelid. She is not interactive anymore and has been sleeping constantly. That croaky pur is there still but she only does it when I stroke her. I noticed also the gulping she is doing as if she is swallowing and licking of lips often.

I can feel the time is near..awful feeling right now.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I wonder if she has a virus which hasn't shown up in any of the tests

sadly not much you can do about it, except syringe water into her regularly and hope she can throw off whatever it is - such a horrible situation to be in, but don't despair yet - and if she is slipping away, it is not in pain or distress, which for her is a real blessing
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Well our vets and myself are sure its neuro and its altering her behaviour. She has weak back legs and there is obvious reason why except neurological. Her bloods were ok when taken when she was unwell, an ultrasound scan showed nothing. This blood that was found...we dont know the cause.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Oh Diana ((hug))

I really do feel for you

You are absolutely doing everything you can for Shelly.

Fingers crossed a solution can be found. If not, all you can do is keep her comfortable and pain free. We are here for you

Xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Dear Diana

I don't know what to say that has not already been said. I am thinking of you. xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Diana, I sm so sorry you have this,distress. Positive thoughts for your precious girl and hugs to you. Xxx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so sorry - I wish I could say something to help. (((hugs)))
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

So, so sorry Diana, it must be absolutely awful for you.....words fail me as to what to suggest, could you possibly get a second opinion ? clutching at straws I know.....thinking of you...xx
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Thank you...all of you.

I was in tears all night. We knew it will happen, possibly tomorrow when she goes for check up. She looks tired and she just wants to sleep. I wish we could get 2nd opinion but she very weak, I dont want to stress her. Its all but certain its neuro.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Thinking of you all, Diana. Bless that dear girl. Could another vet come to the house for a second opinion? XX
notjustacat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by notjustacat »

Hi Diana I'm with Julie and Sarah regards a second opinion. My thought like everyone else's here are with Shelly and you. Our paws are crossed for a positive result.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

I trust me vets with all my heart and we have been with them for 25+ years. What can other vets do that mine haven't...? Bloods, ultrasound, endoscopy...x-ray. I just don't think they could do much else that my vets haven't. When we go back tomorrow I will have a last ditch attempt...cause her breathing doesn't seem right at all, she is taking deep breaths, which could possible mean fluid on the lungs. I will get my vet to listen to her breathing.

The camera down her throat found that blood at back of her nose...we just don't know the cause of it and my vet said that if she doesn't get better with the antibiotics she was given...then it's more likely Neuro. When you hear that...what can you do? I don't want to let her go and am fighting to find the cause but sometimes, it's best for your cat to be at peace and I know that is what she wants. She hid in the our stair cupboard all night and wouldn't move.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Diana, if her breathing is laboured I'd see if you can get her to the vets today rather than tomorrow... Harvey had fluid on his lungs and he deteriorated very quickly - if I hadn't got him to the vets when I did he wouldn't have made it and it's a horrible, slow way to go :/

I really feel for you and poor Shelly, I hope that whatever the outcome of all of this you can take comfort in knowing that she has a lovely life with you filled with love. I'm so sorry she's so poorly, thinking of you both.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

The funny thing is....her breathing is ok when asleep or left alone. It tends to happen when I go to stroke her, like she is purring very loudly but you can see the breathing is not normal, but after I leave her...I watch from a close distant and her breathing goes back to normal. That is the strange thing here. I just went to check on her and she is sound asleep...breathing ok and no croaky noises. And I just thought....Shelly had an endoscopy Monday...if there was fluid then, surely they would have known? That croaky pur was there at the time.

Is there a way I can get a recording on here? I have recorded the noise she makes. Also I have noticed that whilst awake her 3rd eyelid will show...its would zip across then retract back..I have never seen that with Shelly.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Hey Diana, if her breathing isn't laboured when she's resting then hopefully it's nothing as sinister as a fluid buildup. As for her endoscopy, I'm not sure if they would've picked it up then or not as it depends - in Harvey's case the fluid leaked into the small capillaries in his lungs so the fluid showed up on x-ray but wouldn't have been that obvious otherwise; other than his symptoms.
Most cats with fluid will sit hunched up, often with their head down slightly and their neck out and will show signs of laboured breathing. In Harvey's case I could hear the fluid when I listened to him breathe too as his breaths were rattly/bubbly and after about 10 minutes his tongue was poking out of his mouth. He also went very quiet and showed no interest in anything at all, his entire focus was on catching his breath.

http://ak.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos ... a-path.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - this is the position Harvey sat in, with his head down and out (this is just a random cat though, perfectly healthy) !

And this is a video of a cat showing signs of abdominal breathing which is an obvious sign of fluid buildup as they have to use the abdominal muscles to put extra pressure on the lungs to get them to contract enough to get oxygen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9k_qoG ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It should be fairly obvious if Shelly is really struggling with her breathing and if you put your ear against her ribs you'll be able to hear if her lungs are rattly.
You can count her breaths too when she's resting (not sleeping, just sat quietly). 6 breaths in 15 seconds is normal, 7 breaths is a little fast, anything above 8 is considered abnormal and much faster than that is an emergency.

If she's breathing OK when she's alone then hopefully she's not suffering with any fluid buildup as her symptoms would persist and worsen. Good luck with her Diana x
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Hi Diana

You know your cat and vet the best.

When you are making any decisions for your cat, you must have total confidence in your vet.

It sounds like you do, and it sounds like your vet it completely accessible if you need to contact her/him out of hours.

You can drive yourself mad with worry about what ifs. Only you and your vet have seen Shelly, and you must go along with what you think is right for her. Whatever the outcome, you need to be able to look back and think you did what was best.

I had similar things when Luna was poorly a few years ago. I was getting a lot of conflicting info about what to do, and often worried that we weren't trying everything others were suggesting (not people on CC by the way). But our vet guided us through every step of the process from trying treatments, taking her in, stopping treatment and ultimately PTS. Although it was the hardest thing I have ever been through, I have never looked back and thought I made the wrong choices.

You must go with your instinct for your girl.

I continue to pray that she turns a corner and improves soon

xx
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Sarie thanks for the photo and video. Firstly that photo...yes Shelly has been sitting like that at times, but usually she is curled up. And the video...no Shelly isn't breathing like that at all. I did as you advise and it sounds normal. When she is alone with no one stroking her, the breathing sounds good, it's only when I begin to stroke her that she starts to purr and then makes that loud croaky sound and that's the only time I notice the breathing is different.

Val...yes I trust my vet and they are there at all hours. Your right...I will drive myself mad...I did it when I lost Suschi and Heidi...for weeks I was a walking zombie and I know the same will happen again. Already I am thinking what if's, it's hard not to. My gut and my connection with that girl tells me she is very tired.

I have a theory.....up until 2011...I had 3 females. Suschi, Shelly and Heidi. In 2011 Suschi had to be PTS due to car accident. Shelly and Suschi were like best friends, always sleeping together...near each other, you could barely find them apart. I wonder if the shock of losing Suschi affected Shelly. Cause the year after, that is when small issues crept in but nothing major until now. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.....

Tomorrow I hope for good news and a miracle!
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

That's great news Diana - their breathing pace changes naturally when they purr so if she has no symptoms when she's resting then it sounds like she's unlikely to have any fluid accumulation, although obviously I'm not a vet and you know Shelly better than anyone so if she does look like she's in difficulties and the croakiness gets worse at any point then you'll know if she needs to see the vet!
That sitting position is very normal for kitties, I was just pointing out that it's the one they adopt when they have fluid on their lungs (so that position combined with the other symptoms is a sign of breathing problems) but lots of healthy kitties sit this way all the time too so it's nothing to worry about :)

At least that's one thing you needn't worry about for now. Poor little Shelly though, I've got everything crossed for her Tomorrow :) Sorry to hear about Suschi too :( I'll be thinking about you both a lot!
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Thanks Sarie. I lost Suschi in 2011 and in 2012 Heidi went. So if I lose Shelly, that's 3 cats in 3yrs. If the lungs and breathing is ok...then the only option left is Neuro and I just chatted at lengh with VetFone, provided by our insurance and usually if they have Neuro issues that stem from tumour or issue on the brain, then the outlook isn't good already. At times I feel this I connected to the weak leg she has, as that is most likely Neuro so maybe it's linked, then at other times I think no. Because Shelly developed the weak back legs in Feb 2011 but has been fine and still mobile, so is this just another problem totally unrelated..? Hmm
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Everything crossed for her here too. xx
Sabertooth
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Sabertooth »

Sounds like you been through a lot with your cats past and present. All you can do is be there for her and give her the best care that you can which obviously seems to the case. They sure pull on the heart strings at times! Best wishes from me and my little furry friends.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Today is the day. I have 1 more fight left. Spoke to vet yesterday and maybe all she needs is fluids. I gotta fight one last fight for her. Wish us luck!

Sabertooth, thank you. I hold my cats dearly like us all.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Rooting for you both. xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thinking of you so much today, sending lots of good vibes and everything crossed for a more positive outcome.....please keep us updated........xx
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

Thinking of you both Today Diana xxx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Good luck today Diana and Shelly x
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Hey

So I have good news and bad.....good being is that Shelly came home with me, we are giving it one more shot. She was giving an appetite shot and as she is on steroids she was given a 6wk steroid shot. If we can get her eating then we are step closer to good start. We have the weekend to try and get her to eat. Bad news is....my gut tells me I have delayed the inevitable. We got another appt Tuesday so lets hope she eats cause if she doesnt, we know what has to be done.

We got some syringes from our vets should she not, we can blend her food and syringe it in til Tuesday so at least she doesnt start to starve. Guys thanks for the support. My whole body is crossed that this last shot will work.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Oh Diana, what a situation to be in, my heart goes out to you.........lets all keep everything crossed that Shelley turns a corner this weekend.....come on Shelly, you can do it !!..x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Oh Diana I do feel for you.

Come on Shelly, sweetheart you can do it.