Laz has reached the end of the road

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Is anyone else's cat on BP tablets other than Amlodipine

Post by lilynmitz »

It's such a roller coaster isn't it? I keep thinking Lily's on a never ending downward slide, then she'll suddenly pick up and surprise me again, but we just take it a day at a time. Hope Laz is having a better day today.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Hope he's better today. xx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

He's much better today thanks :)

It is so true re the rollercoaster thing. I remember it being like that with Alice. Doesn't get any easier though. Heis eating fine again. I took a photo a few minutes ago and he is looking more realxed than I have seen him for ages :)
Attachments
lazsleep.jpg
lazsleep.jpg (20.76 KiB) Viewed 6465 times
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Yep, definitely relaxed! Lovely to see him looking so happy and peaceful. :)

I know that rollercoaster so well - I lost all five of my original cats in the last couple of years. They all made good ages, between 17 and 19, but along with that does go the 'rollercoaster' of ups and downs. I remember we kept saying our old Giddy was 'on her last legs' for about 18 months - she was our first and very much loved cat (and matriarch to the rest) and we spoiled her rotten anyway ........ but she got away with murder that last year!

It's amazing how they can rally and surprise you, and I really hope the lovely Laz continues to do that. xx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks Helen :) His sight is off tonight, but hopefully will be a bit better tomorrow. I keep saying I can't keep staying up half the night with him, but here we are at 3am! :) x
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Just another update on Laz. He came down with another infection on Wednesday. I took him to the vet yesterday morning and he was given another Convenia shot and some Fucithalmic for his eye (these infections only affect his left eye and nostril) the vet had a feel and his tumour has grown more - he said Laz's liver is now taking up around 1/2 of the cavity and starting to move other organs down - he said it is a mechanical thing. The tumour itself isn't painful, but it will begin to affect other organs. He said we are looking at Palliative care now :( - As he pointed out, getting him over the infection was the main thing as that is what was making him feel rubbish. He started eating again by about 4pm surprisingly (23 hours without food) and has been eating OK since.

Thankfully I am around most of the time. I hope our boy has some quality time. It looks like a few months at best, although the vet wouldn't commit.

Struggling a bit now trying to look after the tortie. She has been on CP waiting list for 2 months now. Obviously Laz is my priority, so Victoria is spending most of the time alone.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Poor old Laz, but I'm glad he seems to be bouncing back after this latest dip. Here's hoping he continues to do so. Give him a fuss from me. xx

I didn't realise you still had the tortie with you, but at least (thanks to you) she does have a future now. I hope a place comes up for her soon.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm sorry to hear the tumour has grown Mark, I hope he has a lot of quality time left.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Sorry to hear this Mark. Let's hope that now the infection has been sorted Laz can still enjoy some quality time with you. He couldn't be in a better home to receive his palliative care!! Please give him gentle fusses from me.

I also didn't realise the tortie was still with you. Even though you can't spend as much time with her as you'd like she is safe and being looked after which is a much better life than she had before.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Oh Mark. I am so sorry to hear this.

Let's all pray that the infection settles down. Hopefully he will surprise everyone and continue to have lots more quality time with you.

Don't worry too much about the tortie. She is getting warmth, food and comfort which is more than a lot of cats get.

Gentle fusses to Laz, and take care of yourself.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Laz has reached the end of the road

Post by MarkB »

His infection came back, He has been spluttering and sneezing. since yesterday. He stopped eating again last night. I took him to the vet today and he said the tumour has grown since last week. He said it is squashing Laz's stomach and he said he was surprised Laz had been managing to eat. He said the kindest thing would be to let him go. He still hasn't eaten, although isn't sneezing now.

The vet cats are resilient and don't die easily, but it will be all downhill from now. We are letting him go tomorrow :(
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Laz has reached the end of the road

Post by HRHFluffy »

Oh Mark. I am so sorry. Can't find the words to tell you just how sorry I am. You're doing the right thing. Please give him a gentle kiss from me. Sending you a big hug. We're all sharing your tears tonight. Thinking of you all. I know you'll be holding him close and making him feel loved more than ever Xxx
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Oh no Mark. I am so so sorry :(

You are doing absolutely the right thing for Laz though.

I am totally devastated by all the bad news this week :(

Give Laz a special gentle fuss from me tonight. You will be in my thoughts tomorrow

Val xxx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh no Mark, I'm so very sorry. You've nursed him along for so long it doesn't seem possible you've hit the end of the road, but I guess it had to come some time. I'm sure it's the right decision for him, though - I know you'd always do your best for him.

Give him a gentle fuss from me. (((hugs)))
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear this Mark, it's not a good week. Have a lovely last evening with him, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

Mark, you've done wonders saving him from his initial death sentence and making his final years so comfortable and full of love

I know it is hard taking on the oldies but it is such a worthwhile and unselfish thing to do, and I hope you feel Laz has repaid you tenfold
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Mark I'm so sorry.

My thoughts are with you. Please give that little boy a gentle fuss from me.

(((Hugs))) x
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh Mark, your beautiful boy. I am so so sorry. What a terrible time for you. Laz has known the greater love and care from you and he will be close to you at the end. Give him a kiss from me. Hugs and love to you and Dennis, dear Kylie and Dom. Xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

I am so so sorry mark, what a rotten week here, you did everything for laz always. . And now you are giving him the kindest gift of all, though the heartache for you is inevitable. . Bless your heart for letting laz go on a peaceful journey rather than one of pain . . . Thinking of you so much . . . Xx
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Oh Mark, I'm so sorry to hear this, another of our CC stars leaving us. How heartbreaking for you both.

You must be feeling desperate, even though you know you're doing the right thing. He was so lucky to spend his final years with you, I have no doubt you extended both quantity and quality of life beyond what he could have expected, and to make a new friend in Dom at the end was really lovely for him too.

I'll be thinking about you and Laz tomorrow. It's so hard saying goodbye, even when it's the kindest thing you can do. Big hugs and gentle fusses to all. Xxx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I am so sorry Mark.

I'm trying to think of something else to say, but words fail me.

((Hugs)) to you and gentle fusses to Laz. x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm working tomorrow, so I might not get a chance to post, but I will be thinking of you both, Mark. Thinking of you tonight, too. xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

I'm so sorry Mark, I hope you can take some comfort in knowing you offered Laz the very best of retirement homes, that little puss didn't want for anything. Will be thinking of you today, gentle fusses to your lad x
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thinking of you today Mark Xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thinking of you and Laz today Mark.....................x
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Dear Mark; I am so very very sorry - how I missed this post I don't know

Thinking of you and Laz today and I hope you are able to take comfort from the fact that Laz had just the best life ever with you. Sending lots of love to you and your OH and a very gentle fuss to Laz xxx
Baggypants
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Baggypants »

I've only just seen this too. So sorry to hear this xx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks everyone. We said goodbye to our boy this morning. He had an uncomfortable night, but we stayed with him. Even Dom & Kylie stayed in the room all night. We were lucky to have had him in our lives and he will be missed.

I want to remember him at his best. http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn22 ... G_3428.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

I am sorry Mark ((hug))

Beautiful photo's of a beautiful boy. RIP Laz, sleep tight and sweet dreams
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

So sorry Mark, what a truly beautiful boy he was, you gave him such a good life in his twilight years, RIP Laz, playing at The Bridge with all our other loved ones.....never far from your hearts...x