Help! Elderly cat pooing outside the litterbox

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
LL2014
Returning Cat Chatter

Help! Elderly cat pooing outside the litterbox

Post by LL2014 »

One of our cats (15) is suddenly for the past week pooing outside the litter box - clean litter and all that. He pee's suddenly outside too. Crying and wanting to be on the lap all the time. Am getting a bit desperate
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Help! Elderly cat pooing outside the litterbox

Post by Crewella »

So he's going to the box but just not making it right in? Is it possible that he's struggling to get in - older cats can get arthritic and creaky - might it be worth trying a shallower tray that he can get in more easily?
LL2014
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by LL2014 »

Crewella wrote:So he's going to the box but just not making it right in? Is it possible that he's struggling to get in - older cats can get arthritic and creaky - might it be worth trying a shallower tray that he can get in more easily?
He has two, a shallow one and a hooded one :(
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

first of, have you taken him to the vet for a general old age check up? At 15 he's probably got arthritis, the colder nights aren't helping. As for the crying - my old girl Molly (I lost her when she was 21) started doing that a few years before she passed; turned out she was deaf and couldn't hear herself so would meow quite loudly.

If you haven't definitely first step would be a vet visit

gentle fusses to your old boy

OH and just to add - I know it's hard when a cat (any pet) starts making mess where they usually don't but just try and remember that it's not his fault so please don't get annoyed with him because it's easy done. He's old and he needs your help x
LL2014
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by LL2014 »

Thank you for the advice we will make an appointment to have him checked today. He hears us well as he responds as usual - loads of cuddles always there for him. Thank you for your guidance, much appreciated x
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Let us know how you get on ;)
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

I agree that a trip to the vet is the best thing at this stage - cats with thyroid issues can sometimes be quite vocal, so there are a few things that need to be checked. Best of luck and gentle fusses to your old man. Keep in touch.
LL2014
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by LL2014 »

Hi, just to update. Our cat has been to the vet several times, he was on antibiotics, had blood tests done - tge lot . Nothing has thrown any light on why he poos virtually every second day now outside the bathroom door and on the bathroom floor. He has a shallow tray to get in easy, another hooded one as well, cleaned regularly and with the same litter. The vet advised to stop the wet food, which we did. Unfortunately he still suffers from very lose poo and I must admit, I am getting desperate as the carpets are not getting cleaner either.

Help !!!!!!
LL2014
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by LL2014 »

Having just cleaned up two lots 15 minutes ago, he did it again. I am so so desperate as we can't go on like this any more. I am too scared to have overnight visitors in case they step into it during the night
lizzyh
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by lizzyh »

Hi, my old girl used to do the same, she was 18 when she left us. I could swear blind she was suffering from dementia, she used to sit on the coals in the fireplace, she wasvjet black just like the fire!!! Never had a mishap with her though thank god, we always checked the fire prior to switching it on!! Has he experienced any changes recently that could be upsetting him? Is there another cat intruding on his patch at all?
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Has anything change in the house or anything happened to upset him? I'm wondering if this might be a stress reaction.

Have you changed his food lately (apart from withholding the wet food)?

It might just be that he's picked up a tummy bug - it can happen. Meanwhile, put a few extra litter trays out for him in the places he's tending to soil most.