Kitten covered in cradle cap

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Tan160581
Frequent Cat Chatter

Kitten covered in cradle cap

Post by Tan160581 »

Hi
I purchased a kitten a few days ago and let's say the lady obv didn't look after her animals, the mum looked dreadful as did the dad, I know your day I should of walked away however they tugged at my heart strings and I thought kitten be better off with me then them

The kitten is skinny I can feel her bones
Hewas fed adult food and just helped his self as and when on wainwrights
His only 6 weeks old as he got an infection and lady couldn't be bothered to administer drugs
And he was covered in fleas

I have bathed him, flead him, wormed with panacur but looking on his skin it's covered in cradle cap and some fur missing , any advice on what I can do please to remove this, his ok in himself and very playful and very clingy too x
catsue
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Kitten covered in cradle cap

Post by catsue »

Hi, I would definitely take him to the vets for a check over as soon as you can. What you describe as cradle cap could be something else such as a flea allergy or a mite problem. If he is only six weeks old, very skinny and was covered in fleas he could also be anaemic. Well done for rescuing this poor kitten but I think a vet appointment is essential. Good luck and let us know how you get on. :)
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Given his age, and very poor start in life, he definitely needs to see a vet as soon as possible. Kittens this young are very fragile and can crash very suddenly, and he needs all the help he can get after such an awful start. Please, please get him to a vet asap.
Tan160581
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Tan160581 »

His ok in himself playing, eyes clear big appetite
But yes I have him booked in next week anyway for piece of mind he has large patches of fur missing and his skin looks very sore
I have been giving him synolux from the vet from the lady I got him from but as stated had to take him early as she didn't have time !!!!! To give them to him

I have flead him and I sprayed flea stuff from vets over my bedding and washed sheets, all my other animals are flead religiously but since got this kitten and even through I treated him and my home I'm itching like crazy and have little marks over me like pin pricks why is this ?
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

Can you post pictures of his bald bits?
Tan160581
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Tan160581 »

Good idea !!! When his sleeping I do it as his having a crazy time at mo bless him x
Tan160581
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Tan160581 »

Here is a picture u can't see that well as George is ginger but see what u think

Actually it won't let me send pic can I send to someone else to upload or take a look ??
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Meandmymunki »

E mail it to me if you like, [email protected]

I do rescue and have seen a fair few skin things.......
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

What did you flea him with?
Tan160581
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Tan160581 »

I have flead him with front line kitten and panacur kitten wormer however his tummy still feels rounded but I have done the 3 days and his not due for another dose til another 2 weeks
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Front line spray or spot on?

You can do 5 days of Panacur
Tan160581
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Tan160581 »

It was spot on frontline
I did 3 days of panacur shall I give another 2 days or do 5 days in 2 weeks time
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Meandmymunki »

Hopefully this will work this is the gorgeous little kitty and his bald bit. I'm thinking ringworm possible but owner going to take him to vet anyway. He is apparently Persian x but just looks Persian to me :)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.93 KiB) Viewed 11487 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (25.21 KiB) Viewed 11487 times
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

He needs to see a vet asap, Front line spot on can only be used on kittens over 9 weeks/1kg. He does look very big for 6 weeks tho
Tan160581
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Tan160581 »

His 7 weeks now

It's deceiving as his fur makes him look bigger and the camera does as well as zoomed in , but you can feel all his bones plus I have been feeding him good food as well

Have app booked next week for vet but will see if can make one sooner
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

Hes beautiful but why oh why did you buy him from a scumbag back street breeder who is just making money on the side with little concern for the mum or the kittens welfare.

I bet she just let her badly bred persian female out to get knocked up by any old rouge tom on the street and is now just selling them off at a handsome profit.

Has this kitten ever seen a vet (before you got it) like hell it has.

Sorry this isn't a rant at you as most people have no idea what they are actually supporting when they buy kittens like this but it makes me so bloody angry that this little chap has been so badly made and without scaring you will more than likely suffer from various ailments....

Wishing him all the best but please could you contact your local rescues and give them the details of this piece of rubbish that is breeding these poor wretched creatures......
Tan160581
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Tan160581 »

Hi

I know should of gone to a proper breeder, however u never know where u r going to when you reply to a ad, and when I got there and saw the conditions as a animal lover I couldn't leave him there - well actually I paid a deposit and wasn't suppose to pick him up til 12th April

Yes she had taken them to vet a few were dying in the litter and I was given antiboitics which had the date etc on, a few had to be put to sleep - and that's when she called me to say pick him up as to much work as she has 5 kids and pregnant - I was abut shocked but thought he may die if he stays there so took him

Yes she lets persian out and hence why pregnant
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

That's horrifying. At least you rescued this poor little chap before he met the same fate as his litter mates, but I suspect you only just got him in the nick of time. My guess is that the others died of flea anaemia, from what you describe about your poor little chap. Sadly this irresponsible woman will just keep doing this, and given her family situation, the next litters, and the mother, won't fare any better. Very, very sad.
Tan160581
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Tan160581 »

Well he has ringworm as do all my animals and myself I'm devastated that by being sorry for the kitten I have risked this upon my other animals, not to mention the cost any top tips be appreciated to deal with this
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

It just goes to show how utterly disreputable the breeder is. All her animals are likely to be infected as well. Don't feel too bad, who knows what might have happened to this poor kitten if you hadn't taken him on. Just be guided by your vet.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

He's gorgeous. What have you called him?

I'm wondering if you or your vet could report the cat's "breeder" to the RSPCA or someone who might be able to save the mum and any other kits?
Tan160581
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Tan160581 »

Kittens and mum been sold but has 2 other females there

I'm absolutely smothered in ringworm as is my cats I got the Maleseb bath and the tabs but with 6 cats it's going down fast

What other methods have u used that are tried and tested

I asked the lady for my money bk but got lots of abuse
Tan160581
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Tan160581 »

Called him George however his all shaved now x
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

How awful! I've never come across ringworm but have heard what a problem it can be. If this woman is a breeder she should be reported to the relevant authority, and also at the very least the RSPCA. You probably won't be able to get your money back from such an old witch, but perhaps she can be stopped from breeding and selling kittens. Gentle fusses to little George. :)