Metacam and arthritis

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Metacam and arthritis

Post by bobbys girl »

For the last couple of weeks Willow has been limping first thing in the morning or after she's had a nap. Until last night it has only lasted a few steps. But it is getting worse. She is not very vet-friendly (she's just not very friendly!) so I've been putting off a visit to the vets.

She was so bad this morning that I had to take her. It wasn't as bad as I had feared (the vet still has all his fingers :lol: ) But he did agree with my thoughts that it is arthritis. He has prescribed a course of Metacam - 3g of liquid dropped on her food once a day.

He says to use it for a week, then leave it for a couple of days and either take her in or 'phone him and let him know how she has been. Then depending on how she is, further investigation or more Metacam, to be used as and when the problem flares up.

I have no experience of using this stuff - only what I have read on CC. I would really value your thoughts on this - especially long-term use.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Metacam and arthritis

Post by Diana »

I still aint caught your name.

Metacam I have used with Shelly a few times. I am not sure if you have heard horror stories of this stuff but it did my girl no harm. It helped and I believe it will help her when the arthritis flares. If it helps her then go for it, I dont believe it is as bad as some sites make out.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Thanks Diana,

I've just given Willow her first dose - on some chicken. We'll see how she goes. The vet did say that providing she has no kidney or liver issues (she doesn't) and that the correct dose is given WITH food, she should be OK.

Sue
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I've been giving Trigger a daily dose for 4 weeks now, and he seems to like the taste, and has had no stomach upsets

as he is on borrowed time, I take the attitude that any side effects are immaterial, but I do suspect that some poorly pusses are given it when they are not eating enough to product their organs - this is probably why injections have a worse reputation than oral drops, as it is commonly given to cats post-operatively, and maybe some at least don't eat for a while afterwards
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Metacam is easily given, most cats take to it well. Yes Sue you are right, if her liver and kidneys are ok then metacam should do no harm.
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by geckodiva »

My 18 year old girl Pudding has been taking Loxicom (same as metacam), for a year now for her arthritis. She never had kidney or liver problems and has been fine in that respect. I get her bloods checked every 4 months or so to keep an eye on things. She takes it directly from the syringe and seems to like it. I don't have to put the syringe in her mouth she just licks it from the end as I slowly push the plunger in. All my cats have taken it at some point and all like it and take it without issue.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

My Basil is 10 and has been on Metacam for about a year after a broken leg, which has set badly and causes him a few problems with arthritis. He started to be sick a few times about 8 months ago so we reduced the Metacam to every other day and he's been fine ever since. I just mix it into his food with no problems.

We do notice a difference in his gait if we stop the Metacam so it definitely helps, though we have discussed lowering the dose - he's due for a check-up soon.

I hope it helps Willow.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Thanks everyone.

Willow has taken to it just fine. The only thing I have to watch is that I give her a dose on a very small amount of food. Being a lady, Willow has small meals. Anything left over gets hoovered up by Gracie - the feline trash can! :lol: So far, so good.

She has just finished a 'licky licky' of my pudding - apple and blackberry crumble and some of the Ice cream that Mark told us about. Happy cat. (happy human) :lol:
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Awww bless her. Glad she is taking it well. Shelly used to be our feline trash can lol.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Awwwww, glad she's doing well. It's always nice to hear of happy cats (and happy humans)! :D