Cat is eating but just wasting away :(

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Phaila
Returning Cat Chatter

Cat is eating but just wasting away :(

Post by Phaila »

Background: my cat is about 14 years old. He has had diabetes for the last 2 years. A few months ago he went into a diabetic shock and almost died. He glucose level was like 25! Took a whole day at the vet to raise them back to normal. After that his diabetes was TOTALLY GONE! All his levels were normal ever since. He had a CBC covering just about everything and it was all normal. But he has slowly been losing weight even though he is eating a lot. He went from a healthy 11.5 to about 6:( Im so worried about him. The dr said the only thing left to do was get an ultrasound but we can't afford it, it is 500. Then after paying that if its Cancer we can't afford chemo. Our vet does not feel any lumps or tumors. He has been walking around wobbling and almost falling over for a week now. Since yesterday I've been force feeding him peanut butter just to try and give him some fuel. I took his blood and once again it's in the normal range. I guess my question is have any of you gone through this, his thyroid checked out fine but could the blood have been off due to his glucose shock? What would happen if he went on steroids? Would it give him strength and make him hungry? I know he's isn't ready to die because he was totally healthy before his glucose shock. And since we SAW IT HAPPEN WE KNOWNTHIS ISNT AN OLD AGE THING. He is truly an awesome cat and needs to stick around. He's just cool and mellow. When my hubby and I fight he would jump between us and start talking to us. I think he thought he was my protector:) I need my bodyguard a bit longer.. Please, any suggestions and or knowledge about steroids and thyroid meds will be very appreciated! Thank you
Also wanted to add that before his diabetic shock he used to try and eat our food. His whole entire life he has NEVER EVER wanted people food. Ever! But the last 2 months, every time we would sit for breakfast he would try and eat oatmeal or eggs or waffles. Just the oddest thing. Then I would give him little pieces and he would nibble a few then split.
Ps. The vet knows ALL of this and says she is totally stumped. Other than an ultrasound she won't be able to figure this out. She feels no lumps or tumors anywhere and you can feel everywhere because he is like a skeleton:(
Last edited by Phaila on Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Cat is eating but just wasting away :(

Post by Diana »

Oh no. Hmmm I have used steriods and they have worked wonders. They do increase appetite so be careful about his diet should you go this route.

Can your vets accept a payment plan? Are you in UK, cause £500 is alot for an ultrasound. My vets dont charge that....thats really high. But anyway although he may not feel anything it doesnt mean nothing is there. Have you noticed any other changes?
Phaila
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Phaila »

We are in the USA. Vet care is VERY expensive.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Has your vet tested for Hyperthyroidism? - if a cat is eating OK but losing weight, it is the most common cause in older cats. Testing isn't expensive - here in the UK a T4 blood test costs around £30. Treatment is often removal of some of the thyroid tissue, although in older cats, lifelong medication is the more usual treatment. Again, it isn't that expensive.

There is a 3rd treatment, which is a radioactive iodine injection, but usually quite expensive as cats need to go into quarantine for several weeks afterwards.
Phaila
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Phaila »

His thyroid test came back fine. I think the peanut butter has been giving him some much needed calories. But just now he couldn't even jump onto the bed and now he's eating my sons French toast
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Your in the states, ok. So he is eating and his appetite hasn't changed. Have you wormed your cat?

Is he having troubles getting around now? I suggest asking your vet if you can do a payment plan.
Phaila
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Phaila »

Im more interested in seeing if anyone has ever had a cat that had these problems.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Well my Heidi used to eat and eat but never put much weight on, but she had IBD and suffered from low potassium so we had to give her a potassium supplement everyday.

I am just curious, ergo why I asked if he has been wormed. You have a cat here that is eating but slowly dropping weight. I am trying to help!
Phaila
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Phaila »

Our cat was just at the vet to be boarded for 5 days. He received fluids every day. I'm assuming had there been worms they would have seen them right? This has to have something to do with diabetes. He went from 2 shots of 3 a day to not having diabetes anymore OVER night. Hopefully someone here knows why a cat all of a sudden is not diabetic anymore then suddenly drops 40 percent of their weight. He has seen the vet 2 times a week for fluids. Our vet is stumped.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

To be honest I cannot understand how he went from being diabetic to not diabetic, i dont even know if that is possible. OK so maybe not worms, its obvious further investigation is needed.
Phaila
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Phaila »

It's weird but it's quite common. Cats bodies have the ability to regulate themselves and I guess Oscars did just that. From our own investigation if he is having a pancreas issue it produces the insulin he needs or something like that which would account to his having such a low glucose reading. But who knows. Anyhow look it up it's kinda interesting:) Too bad humans don't have he same ability.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

So what's your next plan? I mean if he is still losing weight and eating, its gotta be dealt with, you don't want him to waste away.

I really suggest asking your vet if they can do payment plan.
pandorawarlord
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by pandorawarlord »

my diabetic cat went through this a couple of years ago, the reason for saying to have an ultra sound is because the problem lies within the pancreas. your vet will have to see the results to really explain but I will try by saying, that the problem within the pancreas is giving false readings hence the loss of insulin control and loss of weight.