He's nervous about coming in the house

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Janee
New Cat Chatter

He's nervous about coming in the house

Post by Janee »

I have 4 cats - Charlie is 5 and has always been very nervous - but just recently he's nervous about coming in the house - and will only come in when he's really hungry - then he'll eat his food and leave straight away. As far as I'm aware nothing untoward has happened to him - but I can't be certain . I don't know whether I've done the right thing - but this morning when he came in I locked the cat flap so he can't get out - I think I'll try to keep him in for perhaps a week - so he establishes new habits - and realises nothing awful will happen to him in the house- anyone have any experience of something similar? (By the way - as I said I have 4 cats - and Bob is the dominant one - but they have been together all their lives - so I don't think it's that that is wrong)
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: He's nervous about coming in the house

Post by Jacks »

I think you're very wise to keep him inside - and do so for as long as it takes to work out what's been going on and reinforce that this is his home.

I would suspect there has been an incident with one of the other cats and this is why he is acting scared. Because he hasn't been able to positively resolve the incident he's continuing to act on the fear response and every time he dashes out in fear he reinforces his own behaviour. Cats are very emotional creatures - they have a well developed emotional system in their brain and less ability to reason with their beheaviour than humans - that's where we come in to try and sort out the problems.

You need to observe subtle dynamics between your cat family to see if there is any ongoing issue. It there isn't and all is peaceable then the positive interaction will eventually supersede the negative responses and Charlie will regain his confidence.
Janee
New Cat Chatter

Post by Janee »

Thanks - I think it's the right thing to do - just a bit worried that if he escapes he'll be worse than ever - he's a beautiful boy and I hate to see him so stressed. Even feliway isn't helping him.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I would do the same thing, and I agree with Jacks. Do keep a close eye on him, though, and make sure that he has plenty of spots he can go to to get away from the others if he wants to - ideally high perches or hidey-holes.
Janee
New Cat Chatter

Post by Janee »

He has plenty of hidey holes! I've been obsessed with cats for more years than I'd care to think about - but Charlie is a real challenge - had him from 12 weeks old - so I've no idea why he's so nervous - but definately getting worse - worming/de-fleaing causes him loads of stress - but I can't not do that either