In need of some ideas...

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

In need of some ideas...

Post by greenkitty »

We're still having ongoing problems with Hector's nose. To recap he has chronic rhinitis caused by cat flu damage and a significant sore on the outside of his nose which we're trying to clear up.

My vet thinks it's a possible rare reaction to his antibiotic (Ronaxan) which causes the thin skin on the nose to become very sensitive to light (his favourite spot to snooze is on the window sill in the sun).

So we're trying a new regime of medication and he is wearing a comfy collar, this is causing another issue with the skin under the collar becoming sore. I thought this was caused by the plastic collar chaffing the skin so I put a cotton sock over it. On checking him over this evening I found the sock to be soaking wet which I think is coming from his dribbling (his nose is bunged up so he dribbles when he sleeps!), my question is does anyone have any ideas of something that I can cover the collar with that will protect his neck and absorb the dribble to stop his neck getting sore. I want to keep the damp away from his skin.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: In need of some ideas...

Post by MarkB »

I was wondering if rather than using something that will absorb water, if it might be better to use something that repels it. I googled and something called closed cell foam keeps coming up.
There is an adhesive backed version here. They also sell it in other thicknesses http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2mm-Foam-Shee ... 3a93b427b9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by MarkB on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

That's a good idea - I'd never heard of that stuff.

This might sound a bit weird, but if you do still want to go down the absorbtion route, might it be worth trying something like Tena pads that wick moisture away from the surface? The thinner adhesive ones might be workable?

Poor Hector, give him a fuss from me. xx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Great idea Helen :)

Poor old Hector - as if he hasn't got enough problems - having to wear a Tena as well :) (sorry :) )

Something else completely off the wall regarding Hector's Rhinitis, have you have of Himalayan Rock Salt Julia? - I'm the biggest skeptic going regarding 'alternative therapies', but my sister has tried a salt pipe for herself and for one of her sons with good results. My mum also bought a salt pipe on her recommendation this week. I haven't heard yet how she is getting on with it. I don't know the science but think it is something to do with Ions. With humans, the treatment is breathing in through the pipe through the mouth and breathing out through the nose, for 15 minutes a day. Obviously a cat couldn't be treated like that, but wonder if a rock lamp might have some effect. Just something to consider really (if you haven't already)

(I think the lamps are quite nice in a hippyish dort of way :) )
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Thank you for the ideas, funnily enough I had thought of some type of sanitary product as I know the aim of them is to keep the moisture away from the skin, I wondered whether I would be able to find one thin enough to stick round his collar. I've taken the collar off for now so his neck skin has a chance to heal over. Never heard of Himalayan Rock Salt so I will look into that as well.

Hector thanks you for the fusses, they are always gratefully received :)