How to comfort a bereaved foster kitten

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Charbs
Frequent Cat Chatter

How to comfort a bereaved foster kitten

Post by Charbs »

I've been fostering for just under a year and yesterday I experienced my first foster kitten passing.

Her name was Meg. I'm also fostering her brother, Mog. He was by my side all day yesterday but seems generally ok and is still eating so Im not too worried about him at the mo, but has anyone got any ideas on how to comfort him overnight and whilst I'm at work? They stay in a crate downstairs overnight due to previous toileting issues. Having had to boil wash a lot of their bedding etc I haven't got anything that smells of her. Feliway is plugged in. Any other ideas?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: How to comfort a bereaved foster kitten

Post by Crewella »

I'm no expert on kittens, but I've just found out that I'm fostering a 6 week old girl and the rescue suggested I gave her a teddy and heat pad to snuggle up to. They might help?

So sorry you lost one, must be heartbreaking. xx
Charbs
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Charbs »

I'm more affected by it than I expected to be that's for sure! I'd prepared myself last week but thought she was turning a corner so let my guard down!!
I just want to comfort the poor little man, feel so bad leaving him all day but there's nothing I can do about that.
I have a heated beanie toy but it smells of lavender - might try him with that. Not sure how cats feel about lavender but it's the only warmth I can offer him!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Lavender is actually very good for cats - it has the same calming effect on them as it does humans so it's probably not a bad thing to have.

Also, if you can maybe leave a radio on for the little one and also (again if possible) is there someone that could pop by at some point during the day to check on the little one.

And best solution of all would be to maybe see if there is another kitten that needs fostering so you have two again?

Good luck and so sorry you lost Meg :-( sleep tight little one and RIP
Charbs
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Charbs »

Oh that's good, I didn't know lavender worked on cats too!

No there's no one who can pop in but my office is only a 15 minute drive away so I'm popping back at lunch to check on him and to warm the beanie up for him.

I'll happily pop the radio on too if it helps him.

There is talk of him getting a new buddy but he has an upset stomach at the mo so waiting to see if that clears up. Might just be the stress of the last couple of days...
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm sorry to hear you have lost a kitten, it is never easy. Can I ask what you lost her to and how old she was?
Charbs
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Charbs »

She was 11 weeks old and was the runt. I carried her around in my dressing gown in the days before she died hoping it'd help her conserve her energy.
There were ongoing investigations to find out what was wrong. Hoping it was just one of those things as I want her brother to thrive as he's also small for his age. Just feel so sorry for him :( his appetite is suffering now, he's not touched the food I put down this morning bless him. He's on my lap as we speak, I don't want to go back to work, I want moggy cuddles instead!!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Personally, I wouldn't get another kitten then, it is unusual to lose them at that age, runt or not, and there is clearly something as he is small too.
Charbs
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Charbs »

To be honest everything's on hold anyway until I get the results of the faecal sample they were testing. Just a case of wait and see for now. In the meantime lots of chicken and cuddles are the main priorities
Charbs
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Charbs »

Just got home and he's not toileted all day. Hasn't even eaten the chicken I gave him at lunch time and he usually bites my hand off!
Definitely gonna give him lots of cuddles tonight. Maybe with the lavender beans so that he associates the smell with nice cuddles.
I so want to fix him, poor little guy :(