Boris losing weight

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Boris losing weight

Post by cathyday »

Hello team.
I've taken Boris to the vet this evening as he's very howly day & night as well as losing weight. He's had blood taken & we should get the results back on Wednesday. Vet Steve feels Boris has regrown thyroid tissue which is causing his symptoms. Whatever it is it would be great to get it sorted. My boy is not happy & we aren't getting much sleep!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Boris losing weight

Post by meriad »

Poor Boris and poor you two; lack of sleep really isn't very nice.

As a matter of interest, if it is tissue regrowth - can they operate again to remove it or is medication the only option; do you know?

Fusses and good luck
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

the best option, if you can afford it and he is fit enough, would be radioactive iodine treatment, which zaps all thyroid tissue wherever it is

did he have to have thyroxine after having both glands removed? if so, I take it that stopped before the latest tests were done
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by cathyday »

Hello

Ria - Apparently thyroid tissue can regrow anywhere so finding it Steve says is almost impossible, unless there is a discernable lump.

Kay - He's still on Thyroxin but at a much reduced dose currently. His bloods were taken late last night well after his 6:00am dose.

We would consider the radioactive treatment IF our vet Steve recommends it. Boris is 16, but in good health otherwise. The downside is that the cat normally has to be away from home for a few weeks. That would be the major stumbling block. I'm not sure us or Boris would be able to cope with that.

We'll see how his results come back and then see where we go. Hopefully it's a case of taking him off thyroxin and putting him back onto Felimazole or similar. Fingers crossed.....
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Good luck for the results, and all paws here crossed for him. xx
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

there's a place in Gloucestershire where my Trigger went for the radioactive treatment, and he only had to stay 16 days
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by cathyday »

Thanks for the info Kay. If it is only 16 days then we may well consider that. Is it a one time only treatment, i.e. once done the thyroid tissue cannot return?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I think it is possible, though very rare, for a new tumour to grow on the thyroid, but in Boris's case that isn't going to happen

here's the link http://www.rowevetgroup.com/referral-services.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the radiation is done at Wooton-under-Edge - my Trigger sailed through it, despite a 3 hour journey each way, and came out heavier than he went in
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by cathyday »

Hello Team

Well the blood results are in and are not what we expected! Boris's thyroid level is way too low at only 11. Last bloods in April showed him as being smack in the normal range. We've upped his meds a bit for the last couple of days and we'll see how he goes. Vet Steve has said that it's not unusual for the level to fluctuate every couple of years or so.

The downside of his thyroid being low is that his kidneys are struggling due to lower than normal blood pressure. His Creatinine result is 179 (just in normal range) but his Urea is way up at 13 (top reading should be 8). Steve thinks it's this thats upsetting him more than the thyroid level.

He's got to be on the new dose of Thyroxin for a month and then go back for another blood test. Steve also would like a urine sample to see how high the protein level is. If that has crept up then apparently it's treatable too.

Right now my boy doesn't look his best but is curled up on the bed alseep in the sun. At 16 years old he still stomps all over us at 5:00am purring loudly for breakfast and comes and sits with us all evening watching TV. The Horizon Cat program is going down a storm with my 2 at the mo!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Well, at least you now have the results and can formulate a plan to help him. Glad he's still himself! :)
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

you'd have expected him to put on weight with an underactive thyroid, but it just goes to show how unpredictable these endocrinological conditions can be

and an underactive thyroid is a lot easier - and cheaper - to correct than an overactive one
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Sorry to hear this Cathy. I wonder if it's the reduced kidney function that's making him lose weight? Hopefully the right balance of drugs will sort this, but all the blood tests to check it are a pain meanwhile. Do hope he's back to his old self soon. Give him a hug from me and Lily. x
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by cathyday »

Thanks for your wishes guys. Boris has hardly touched his food all weekend. We've got his meds into him by giving it on a few Dreamies which he loves. He is eating a little but nowhere near as much as normal. I'm in Germany for a few days so I hope he'll be ok. If he's no better when I get back he'll have to go back to the vet. Trouble is Steve is now away for 2 week & not sure I trust anyone else to look at my boy.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

It's awful when they're not eating properly, really hope he picks up again. xx
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Oh what a worry Cathy. I'm sure Glen will keep a good eye on Boris while you're away, and Steve's colleagues will have all his meticulous records to look at while he's off. Hope your boy rallies soon. Have you tried warming up his food a bit?
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by cathyday »

Dear All

I've returned from Germany to find Boris is eating well, sleeping well and not howling day and night. We're hoping the adjusted dose of Thyroxin is kicking in and is suiting him. He has to go back for a blood check w/c 3rd November. I'll keep you updated on his progress.

Thanks for all your support!
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Good news! So glad to hear that. x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

That's good news, Cathy. Fusses to Boris. xx
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

You must be really relieved. Hope he continues to do well. Fusses from me and Lily. :-)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

oh fab news! :D

Fusses all round x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That's great news - I'm so pleased he's feeling better! :)
cathyday
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by cathyday »

Thanks guys. He's defoes feeling better. The pic below was taken at 5am as he was 'waiting' for his breakfast.
Attachments
Hungry Cat
Hungry Cat
Oct 16th 2014 051.jpg (27.61 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

awwww :lol:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!