New kitten

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
HeatherG3000
Experienced Cat Chatter

New kitten

Post by HeatherG3000 »

My friend just got a new kitten - a lovely little black boy - Riley.

She picked him up last night and he is just 7 weeks old and absoutely tiny! Only thing is, he's not really been eating. The lady that she got him from had said she gives him powdered milk?! All sounds a bit odd to me to be honest! I've never known a kitten to be anything other than greedy and in at everyting! Could be he's just been weaned? I told her to try him with anything just now cos eating anything is better than nothing!

Also, he hasn't done the toilet in 15 hours! Maybe just down to not eating, but still a bit odd.

Any thoughts?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: New kitten

Post by bobbys girl »

Was that all she said - powdered milk? What sort of powdered milk? When? How often?

I'd tell your friend to get him down to the vet ASAP. Get him checked out and get feeding advice from the experts. Let us know how she goes on.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

I agree with bobbys girl, I'd get him to the vet immediately for some expert advice. Kittens can go downhill incredibly quickly at that age and what may seem like a minor thing could become fatal within hours if he isn't seen by a vet.

Let us know how she gets on with him, I hope he's alright!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Completely agree with the others, he's really too young to be away from his mum as well. :(
Moo Bear
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Moo Bear »

I had to syringe feed Midge when I first got her as she was an emergency rescue at 5 weeks old and wasn't eating anything. She wouldn't touch the milk substitute so i ended up mushing up some high quality dried kitten food in water and feeding it to her with a syringe little and often throughout the day, which she seemed to really enjoy and it encouraged her to start eating the dried food by herself a few days later.

I agree with the others about taking a trip to the vets though.

Good luck xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

How is the little man? Has he seen the vet yet?
HeatherG3000
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by HeatherG3000 »

Hi all!

Thanks for the advice. I have been over to visit a few times. I had suggested softening cat food with the milk or hot water to help him eat and that seems to have helped. He is eating which is great! And he is a lively little thing, not showing any signs of being lethargic or anything like that.

In my opinion, I think he was a little young to be away from mum. The previous owner had planned for the kitten to go to an elderly relative but turned out she didn't want it and that is why they were selling. He was advertised on gumtree for £20! The seller gave my friend the kitten as well as food and litter supplies and even presecribed worming medicine from the vet that I use! I think if the little thing hadn't been fully de-wormed, I wouldn't have been selling him! But this is my friend's first pet and I think she was just so excited she didn't think to ask any questions or wait a few more weeks!

Next problem is the litter tray...he hasn't seemed to master that yet!

Anyway, he does seem to be doing well which is the main thing :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

That's good news. It wasn't an ideal start for him, but it sounds like he is making good progress now.

As for litter training, when he has had something to eat or drink, ask your friend to gently hold him just over the litter tray and wipe his bottom with a warm, damp cloth or tissue. this should encourage him to 'toilet'. Let him sniff the result, he'll very quickly get the hang of it. Ours all did. :D (It is a trick my late lamented dog taught me.)

BTW what's his name?
HeatherG3000
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by HeatherG3000 »

I've given her a few tips for toilet training. He looks so tiny in comparison to the litter tray at the moment too! He has taken to chewing the litter rather than using it as a loo!

His name is Riley - I'll try get some snaps!
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Please make sure it's not clay litter he's chewing it can be very serious if they digest it...
HeatherG3000
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by HeatherG3000 »

It's not clay! It's a really weird litter, it's like blue and clear crystals! Apparently an odour control one?

Whenever he goes for it my friend is picking it out his mouth to try and train him not to eat it! He seems to like the crunch,...but now he is eating biscuits he might be happier with the crunch of those!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

that sounds like a silicon based litter which is probably even worse than the clay.

What is she feeding him? Reason I ask is that cats apparently tend to eat things like litter or lick walls when they are lacking some nutrient so they try and get it elsewhere... Pica it's called