4 month old kitten peeing and pooping all over the home!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
fionakitty
New Cat Chatter

4 month old kitten peeing and pooping all over the home!

Post by fionakitty »

I adopted a 4 month old kitten. For her first two months she was pretty much feral (was rescued from a pet hoarding home). For the following two months, she lived in a single room at the animal rescue with 4 other kittens and the adult cat she was found with. They all shared a litter box, and she would usually just do her business in the crate because the other kittens would try to play with her while she was using the box! When I adopted her, they said she would probably have no problem using the box if it is clean, in a private location and no other cats are using it.

I've had her now for almost 3 weeks. For the first week, she would only eliminate in her crate. So, I took the crate away. Then she peed on my bed, and pooped in a corner. I tried to "trick" her by bringing the cleaned crate back in, put litter in it and put it in the same location as it was in before. No luck. So I removed the crate again. Now, she is peeing and pooping on the couch - even after I cleaned it with Natures Miracle. I've tried changing litter brands (with Kitten Attract, she was just lounge in the litter box!). I've tried the litter box with the hood on and off. Everyone has told me it is a cat's instinct to use the box and her behavior is very odd. Any advice on what I should do??? Is it too late to litter train her?

Thanks so much!
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: 4 month old kitten peeing and pooping all over the home!

Post by greenkitty »

Have you tried using the same brand of cat litter they used before? Also try introducing a second and maybe even a third litter tray in locations around your home. Cats need to feel absolutely comfortable and safe when they go to the toilet. She's obviously already litter trained you just need to work out the cause of the problem. Avoid using anything too scented in her trays or to clean them.
fionakitty
New Cat Chatter

Post by fionakitty »

Thank you greenkitty!

My friend who has two cats told me she may not like that I'm closing her off from my bedroom. She is a very social cat and likes to be around me a lot. So, at risk of her marking in my bedroom I kept the door open last night and she was in the room most of the evening. This morning I woke up to the sound of her digging in the box, she had peed and pooped in it for the very first time! I gave her a treat and rubbed her head and back as a reward :) I am hoping she uses it again. If not, I will try changing the litter brand.

Thanks again for your suggestions!
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Ah perhaps she was making a protest :)

Fingers crossed it continues!