Introduction problem

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Lolo_Mc
New Cat Chatter

Introduction problem

Post by Lolo_Mc »

Hi, I recently adopted my friend's sweet neutered male cat and began the introduction process with my spayed female resident cat. They are about the same age ~8 years.

The new cat was kept in the guest bedroom for 8 days, with daily scent swapping and feeding close to the door, first closed then open. Resident cat was never very curious about him and stayed away from the door (she has lived with other cats in the past without problems, most recently this summer when she stayed with my brother's neutered male).

Finally the new cat started growing impatient being in the guest room and he was crying all the time. So I began face to face introductions, first for brief periods and then for longer.

It has been 5 days and the issue is that he follows the resident cat relentlessly. She will then hiss or swat at him and he backs off, but continues stalking her. She growls sometimes, but not much. They have not gotten into a full fight. But I was worried that this stalking would interfere with litter box behaviour and came home today to find cat poop on the floor (boxes were cleaned this morning). I don't know for sure which cat did it, but I assume it was my resident cat.

Aside from taking the lids off the litter boxes so she can see what's around her, what else can I do?
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Introduction problem

Post by greenkitty »

How many litter trays do you have? It might be worth introducing a couple more in other locations, cats need to feel safe when they go to the toilet and if new puss is stalking existing puss she may not feel comfortable enough to use her tray.

5 days is still very early in the process and as long as they're not fighting keep on as you are. Make sure existing puss gets lots of fusses and attention so she knows she hasn't been replaced. Almost ignore new puss when she's around.

Try treating for positive interactions so they associate each other with good things. Playtime together is a good way of doing this as well.

Good luck!
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Diana »

I would say you have got off to a great start really. No fighting, that is always a great sign. The constant following may have annoyed your girl and its possible she pooped away from the box. Try another box as its widely suggested you have one box per cat plus a extra one. Maybe she isnt kean on sharing the box and you would benefit from another one.
Lolo_Mc
New Cat Chatter

Post by Lolo_Mc »

Thank you for the reassurance! I have 2 boxes and I noticed this morning when I cleaned them that they are both almost exclusively using the same one! I did take the lids off and there haven't been any more accidents, but I've also gone back to giving them several hours with the other shut up (resident cat sleeping with me at night and new cat in the guest bedroom while I'm at work).

The new weird thing is that when they have both had access to the house, resident cat has been choosing to hang out in new cat's bedroom! I just don't get them.