Adopting a new cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Adopting a new cat

Post by Diana »

So....one day in the near future I would love to adopt a new cat. My Shelly passed just over two weeks ago, I don't want to rush into it as I did before, saying that I ended up adopting cats still with me today. When my Suschi and Heidi went, exactly four weeks after I adopted another cat. I believe I have space for three cats and would love to give one a home they can feel safe in. But this time, I will wait longer before i even start to look.

My question is this, I am unsure as to wherever it should be male or female. Reason I ask is my two cats now, Evie who is four, female and Timo who is three, male seem to get along great and play together lots, although they do tend to have there little scraps. Before with Shelly I felt she was boss but rarely did she show it, she kept them two closely grounded I believe and now with her gone, them two think its a free for all in the sense that they are having these scraps more often, although its not aggressive. Also with Evie, she liked having another girl in her corner and so didnt tease Timo so much, now she does it more so. I wonder wherever Evie would like another girl or if I got a boy, would Timo become more dominant? Evie is laid back but also has an energetic side where she likes to play and tease Timo. Timo is cheeky. He runs around slot, loves to play and is always on the go.

I dont see this situation as replacing my girl, no cats can replace previous cats! I just would like to offer a home to cat who needs one and give them love.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Adopting a new cat

Post by Kay »

in my admittedly limited experience, a resident female will always be dominant over a newcomer, whether male or female, but an incoming male is less likely to challenge her than an incoming female, unless the male has been a stray or previously feral, in which case he would be likely to want to fight for food

a male coming from a domestic background would be my choice
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Hmmm. Well at one time...I had 3 females, my originals I called them...Suschi, Shelly and Heidi. They are all gone now but when bringing in Shelly when I just had Suschi..no fights, then when I brought in Heidi, again no fights.

It's hard...I in the back of my head was set on female cause my girl Evie...I think she likes to boss Timo around but she doesn't like to show that she is the more dominant one of the two, although we know that is the case. Then again....I thought male. I am stuck right now. And about an hr ago, I let my Timo out our front door for a walk in our front garden, my cats have access to the garden but he loves popping his head out for about 10mins or so whilst I stand and watch over him making sure he doesn't nip across the road. He saw this cat on the other side, I have seen it before but not sure on the sex and straight away Timo wanted a glimpse at him/her. I blocked his way so he couldn't run over and his hair started to stand up and when I picked him up to bring him back in, he hissed and growled.

No is that a bad sign? Or was it the fact I grabbed him to bring back in...?! None of my two are aggressive in ay way, just Timo is a little aggressive in play with us.
Podsy
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Podsy »

Personally I wouldn't adopt another cat. If the 2 you have get on mostly, then why upset the apple cart?! I would be inclined to leave it, and then in the future if the opportunity arose you could consider it, but I wouldn't go out looking.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

The reason why is because I have room for three cats, that means I can adopt one out of a shelter and that shelter can then take a cat that's on a waiting list. That cat could be a stray that needs decent shelter and ongoing care/food.

I have had three cats since 09 and never once had a problem. I won't be looking yet but I know I will in the future.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

I would definately adopt a male cat, especially a rescue one, most rescues list the traits of the cat , so they should be able to tell if he will easily get along with the others .

I have had cats for over 40 years...mainly strays/ex ferels/ left behind little souls, old cats (always black)...and never had a male cat who hasn't got on, but my girl cats.....they turned into banshees at times :lol:

Girl cats are normally top of the hieracy , in other words bossy boots.....:0) so getting another girl would unsettle who is top cat in your home....

3 is a good number!!! mind you so is 5 ....7.......
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Serendipity! When the time is right, the right cat will find you! :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Personally, I think it's lovely that you want to offer a home to another cat. In my experience, it's much more important to go by the character of the cat than by gender. I've added several cats to my household over the last few years, mostly chosen because they had lived with other cats before or showed signs of being quite sociable in nature. Most of my original cats were girls, but were all fine with incoming cats and both Grumpy Nellie and Peaches settled in easily too (as long as Daz doesn't try to chase poor Nellie too much). Basil has been the hardest to integrate, but that was to be expected as he was never supposed to stay - he was a failed foster cat who had been an only cat for 9 years.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

I've found the opposite to Helen, my boys were much easier to integrate. I had awful problems integrating Pip and Noodle both female despite Pip already living with Hector and Noodle living with other cats in the her foster home, Hector and Tig were much easier going and more accepting of their new home.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Thanks for the advice.

Sometimes the character is what really matters. I just hope to find one who would settle with my current two. My male, Timo is the first male cat I have owned, for some reason we always ended up with girls.