Cheyenne Returns

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
notjustacat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Cheyenne Returns

Post by notjustacat »

Some of you will be aware that Cheyenne went missing on the 9th of October and that she turned up tonight the 16th of October posted on found. The return was brief, just time for her to finish a bowl of food and then she was off again. Now I need some advice. Should I just let the wayward situation continue?. Or! trap her on her next visit and try starting the bonding process from day one again. Your thoughts will be appreciated.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Cheyenne Returns

Post by bobbys girl »

Just a thought - does she wear a collar? If so could you attach a note? She might have found another home, it does happen!

Something similar happened to a friend. She could not understand why her cat (on a strict diet) was still piling on the pounds. Long story short - he had 'adopted' 2 other families. He'd be gone for days at a time.

Hope you sort it out.
notjustacat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by notjustacat »

No collar, I wouldn't be able to get near enough to her to put one on.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

Did she gobble her food quickly when she returned briefly implying been shut in somewhere, or did she just oh hum suppose i'd better eat whilst i am here, :D which means she has been fed elsewhere.

Have you seen any new cats around, perhaps she has found a new feline friend to explore with and taken a liking to.

I hope you managed to get some sleep last night knowing she is safe.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

That's wonderful - I'm so pleased that she turned up!

By the sound of it, Cheyenne is quite happy as she is, though she might not know what's best for her. What to do is really more about what you can cope with, and neither option is easy.

If you leave her be, she may well keep disappearing and give you more sleepless nights, though there is a chance that, with time and cold weather, she might start to appreciate a warm loving home and regular food a little more. If you start the bonding process again, I suspect that you'll have to go right back to the beginning, keep her in and almost force yourself on her at first, as she's the sort of cat that won't come to you. The only way she'll learn that human contact is nice is to experience it, even if it's against her will at first. I know you have all the patience in the world, so you'll get there, but you'll have to stick with it - once you've trapped her you run the risk of putting her off you altogether if you don't follow through until she comes round.

I hope she's been back again?
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

It's a difficult one and to be honest I'm not sure what I would do. You've had her inside and she wasn't happy. But equally it's not nice for you to not know where she is.

One of mine, Abbie is a roamer and in the summer months I'm lucky if I see her 2 or 3 times in a week, but I know she's been home because she's the one that'll come in and empty the food bowls (the others just pick at their food). But now that it's getting colder (as Crewalla said her her post) she's more inclined to come home and enjoy the warmth of the house and I would hope that Cheyenne will be the same.

Not sure where you live, but maybe it would help to speak to someone who deals with feral rescue and see what they do to 'turn round' ferals and see if they can give you some more advice. Whilst Cheyenne isn't feral she's obviously not your 'regular lap cat' so maybe approaching things from a different angle may be the way to go?
notjustacat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by notjustacat »

It's a real catch 22 situation. Trap her and start the bonding programme. She may resent it and leave for good. Continue to give her her freedom she may like it so much she leaves for good. My preferred poison is letting her have, I hope, a safe freedom. I tried feral training from a web site not sure who recommended it. It may have been Jacks. Suffice to say as good as the methods were it didn't work with Cheyenne.
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by AhmedUK »

I am not a cat owner, just a cat lover, so it is probably not appropriate for me to give my opinion, but I will anyway!

If that was my cat, I'd just let her be, if she likes the great outdoors and doesn't want to come back, then she is happy, so let it be. At the same time, I completely understand your predicament as you love her a lot, and it will be very hard for you not knowing if she is ok e.g. if she comes back every other week, but then doesn't come for a month, you'll probably be sitting there worrying whether something has happened to her.

Whatever decision you make, I am sure it will be a wise one.

All the best.

Ahmed
notjustacat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by notjustacat »

Wise words Ahmed. I am going to go with the letting her do her own thing. She is a streetwise lady and a survivor. As has been said on this post earlier. When it gets colder it may make her think twice about wandering. As for worrying as the song goes( What's the use of worrying it never was worthwhile). Bit before your time to know that one I'm sure.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

.... and smile, smile, smile! :D

I think I would do the same if I were in your position. xx