Cat is sneezing today

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Cat is sneezing today

Post by AhmedUK »

Hi All,

This is a post about my landlady's cat.

He is 6 years old, a ginger domestic cat, and I have been living here for a year and love him dearly.

Today I came into the room, and he was sitting on the keyboard of my laptop! As I came to remove him, he sneezed three times. Then a few hours later, he sneezed again a few times. Then a few hours later, he sneezed again.

Should I be worried? In the year I have lived here, I have only ever heard him sneeze once before!

His diet seems ok, he is still eating well, and his temperature seems ok, he doesn't seem hot.

Thank you.

Ahmed
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Cat is sneezing today

Post by sarie »

Hey, I'd keep a close eye on him but hopefully it's nothing too much to worry about. Although it's not that common, cats can and do get viruses similar to the common cold in humans. They can also get upper respiritory infections and sneezing is an early indicator of both of these.
Keep an eye out for nose or eye discharge or any other signs of breathing discomfort - as with a human he may just have a mild case and his immune system might fight it off before it develops or he may gradually develop other symptoms and start to feel a bit rubbish.
Do you know if he's been vaccinated against Cat Flu?

I'd just keep an eye on him, watch his appetite and look for other symptoms and if you're at all worried at any point then pop him along to the vets.
If he starts to show any more serious symptoms like difficulty breathing/open mouth breathing, drooling or excessive eye/nose discharge then take him to the vets right away as these are symptoms of a more serious upper respiritory infection and/or cat flu and he may need a little help from them if he gets too dehydrated or struggles to breathe comfortably.

Hopefully it's nothing to worry about and his sneezing will subside in a day or two :)

Welcome to CatChat by the way :)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Cats do get colds, even if they've been vaccinated against cat flu they can still contract it, the vaccinations means it's not as severe. I would just keep an eye on him, his immunity should be able to fight anything off. If he stops eating and becomes very lethargic or he seems to have a secondary infection then you should pop him along to the vets.
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AhmedUK »

Many thanks for the replies - it is good to see there exist forums with the primary focus of helping people with issues with their cats. I joined another forum before this one, and when I stated there was a lot of bureaucracy before you are allowed to post, I got banned. Sad.

The cat is my landlady's, I love cats though I have never had my own as I travel a lot for work and am constantly changing locations, and as a single guy, it wouldn't be fair on the cat if I had such a lifestyle. My landlady had a human bereavement recently, so I didn't want to worry her with this, which is why I asked here.

He is a house cat, he never goes outside, the last time he went outside was when he went to the vet was last November, so is it still possible for him to catch a cat cold or flu?

Luckily he hasn't sneezed at all since yesterday, or at least I haven't seen him. He is also eating away like there is no tomorrow, so I guess I need not worry unless things change!

Many thanks.

Ahmed
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by sarie »

It sounds like you probably have nothing to worry about but he's lucky to have you watching over him on behalf of your landlady :)

Although he doesn't go outside it is still possible he could catch a virus as you and your landlady presumably do go outside so you could potentially bring in contaminants. It's less likely than if he had access to the outdoors though and cats don't catch colds from humans so he wouldn't have caught anything from you.

I can't imagine you have too much to worry about but if you do notice any changes in his habits or health then a vet visit would be a good idea :)
AhmedUK
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by AhmedUK »

Ah, yes, my landlady and I certainly do go outside!

Well, it is good to know that I don't have anything to worry about at the moment. He's a great cat and I love him dearly. He's a very scared cat and ever since I moved in, he's been really frightened of me, and that saddens me, as I just want him to know that I am not here to take over his territory and this place is his!
I have managed to build up a relationship with him over time, he sometimes comes and sits next to me, he will often meow during the day asking for treats, and I duly oblige, but it is clear he is still usually scared, he tends to walk away if I get too close, he will usually look away if I sit down and talk to him, and that just saddens me, not because I want him to "love" me, no, he is my landlady's cat and he loves her and I am happy with that, but because I just hate it that he doesn't feel completely at ease in his own home and is on edge whenever I am in..