cat nipping

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
elphgal75
Returning Cat Chatter

cat nipping

Post by elphgal75 »

I've recently adopted two adult male cats,both have settled extremely well the only problem seems to be one is nipping :(
it started the other day after meowing to be fussed, I stroked twice and he went to nip my hand,
we was wanting fuss today so I sat on the floor so he could come round me and leave when he was fed up, after rubbing me and walking round me he rubbed my arm and nipped at me??
any ideas why and what I should do please??
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: cat nipping

Post by Diana »

Welcome to CC

Are the nips aggressive? Cause my boy Timo nips all the time when we stroke him or play but its gentle. Some cats do this, its nothing to worry about. Unless he is showing aggressive behaviour then dont worry.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

As Diana says, some cats do this in a friendly way and quite gently and it''s nothing to worry about.

However, if it's a bit more than that and you want to stop it I'd say 'ow' every time he does it and immediately withdraw your attention and stop petting him. Even better, walk away from him and ignore him completely for a few minutes. That way, he should learn that he only gets fusses and attention when he's not nipping and should stop. You have to be consistent, though, to make sure he gets a clear message - don't ever shout at him and don't tell him off, he won't understand.

Good luck, and welcome! :)
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

My theo does this all the time but its a very affectionate little nibble, not a bite. He kind of touches my hand or arm with his teeth very gently. he does it when we get up in the morning and when we come in from work. He gets all exited and rolls over etc and head butts us. I love it. :D
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Our cat does this and sometimes holds on for a while. Whilst it feels sharp it is clearly a friendly nibble, not a bite.