My cat fighting a stray

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
andrea8411
Frequent Cat Chatter

My cat fighting a stray

Post by andrea8411 »

My beautiful Toby is fighting everyday/night with a stray. He is coming home with a ripped out claw a scratched eye and is desperately unhappy.
I have set a trap, kept Toby in for days (which he hates) I have no idea what to do. I've been to the vets about 5 times in the past 3 weeks.
I'm so sad for him he's 10 years old and has always gone out and about all the time.
I had the trap for over a week with no success, I have knocked on neighbours doors but know one knows the cat, I have a feeling that Toby goes looking for the cat as its in his territory, but seems to come off worse for wear.
Any advise?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: My cat fighting a stray

Post by bobbys girl »

Poor Toby!

Have you actually seen this cat in your garden or is Toby going looking for him? Is it a stray or a 'new kid on the block'?

We have 2 cats that turn up from time to time. Felix (he looks like the cat in the ad) is a stray. He does the rounds with the neighbours. He was here today. My lot don't mind him too much and he doesn't bother with them.

The other one is the problem. He has not been around for a while and, to be honest, I hope we never see him again. He is not a stray - just a thug, and our all our cats are terrified of him.

Your poor lad can't go on like that. If you can find out a bit more about the other cat perhaps the folks on CC can come up with a solution. Hope so.
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by elastu »

Can I ask what plans do you have if you trap the cat and find out his is not chipped or neutered?
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

If you find this cat in your garden, try a super-soaker water pistol to discourage him from coming back. It won't do any harm, but will make him think again. But given the injuries to your cat, have you considered cat-proofing your garden (eg Securacat), or building him a run so that he can at least have some outdoor time without getting beaten up. I know it's a tough solution, but it might be the only answer if you can't keep the two of them separate.

But as someone else said, please make sure you have a plan of who can take this cat in if you do manage to catch him, and assuming of course, that the cat you catch is the one your puss is fighting with.