feline anemia

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
cards22_2002
New Cat Chatter

feline anemia

Post by cards22_2002 »

So a few months ago our cat Trust developed a severe case of anemia, we have gone through all the basic test lukeimia, and Fiv. When we took him to the ER his PCV level was down to 8. He has since had a blood transfussion which brought his PCV to 25, which slowly dropped to about 16 before it started climbing, while on predisone. His PCV level had gotten up to 30 and the Vet decided to start dropping his dose of Pred. The following recheck(2 weeks later) he had dropped back down to 25 he was then put on an antibiotic and was retested about 5 days later where he had dropped to 24.5. We are now giving him atopica on top of the Pred, and Antibiotic with a recheck seduced for this Thursday. I just wasn't sure if anyone has dealt with this and could offer advice. He has also gotten to where he does not want to swollowing his liquid meds. Have tried the blowing on his nose as well as the touching the nose.any suggestions on a better way on that. Thank you in advance
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: feline anemia

Post by Kay »

welcome to catchat, and I'm sorry you've not had any replies

I myself don't know much about feline anaemia, but it is my understanding it is a symptom of a condition, rather than a stand-alone condition itself, so I think you need to know what is causing it

this Yahoo group might be able to offer you more information - https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Feline_Anemia/info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

when I had a cat with hyperthyroid I found the Yahoo group for that a mine of information and support
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: feline anemia

Post by MarkB »

Sorry this isn't much help, but one of mine became anaemic a couple of years ago. I wasn't given exact numbers, but my vet said his RBC count was less than 50% of what it should have been. I know anaemia can be a symptom of things like kidney disease. Lazarus is also Hyper-thyroid, which may also have some bearing. Anyway, we ruled out the obvious things and my vet recommended giving him an iron supplement. I did a bit of research after reading that iron supplements can cause constipation (he has megacolon, so we can't afford to give him anything that will block him up). I found some tablets that have a different type of organic iron and after getting the OK from my vet, I gave him one a day for a couple of months. When we retested, he was fine - so we don't really know how it came about or if it was the iron tablets that did the trick. He hasn't had anaemia since.

These were the tablets I used http://www.amazon.co.uk/Floradix-Iron-S ... ix+tablets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Holland & Barrett also sell them.