Help needed please!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
4catsOneDog
New Cat Chatter

Help needed please!

Post by 4catsOneDog »

As an experienced, lifelong cat owner, I'm finally at the end of my tether with a problem with two cats.
Radley and Mulberry are two year old cats with an amazing soft temperament but they have both decided that it is acceptable to urinate on the kitchen work surface. We've tried everything to stop this to know avail. They are being kept out of the area as much as possible but within minutes of entering the kitchen one will wee in this inappropriate place. They have access to outside via a cat flap, they have litter trays readily available.. But we can't seem to stop it! Please help, the last thing I want to do is to have to give up on our two youngest cats x
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Help needed please!

Post by meriad »

What are you using to clean the counters? If it's a bleach based product (which many kitchen cleaning ones are) then it most likely is the smell of bleach that's attracting them.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Help needed please!

Post by lilynmitz »

While bleach based cleaning fluids may be an issue, this sounds like it might be stress behaviour to me. You say these are your two youngest cats. How many do you have in total? Is there any stress between them? Is there perhaps a new cat on the block that's making them feel uncomfortable toileting outside? Has anything happened or changed in the house recently?