Elderly cat being sick often

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Nellie 1
Returning Cat Chatter

Elderly cat being sick often

Post by Nellie 1 »

Firstly sorry for long post ! My little old cat is 19 years old. He is a regular visitor to the vets because of arthritis and metacalm. For many months now he been sick often. I have managed to settle this on several occasions with changes in cat food. He has been on the vets sensitivity diet and that made him sick too. I am down to the last type of tinned cat food he can eat and he is turning his nose up at it. He can still manage fresh chicken and salmon but this is not a complete diet. Can anyone suggest what I could add to this to make it a better diet. He enjoys life and I want to give him the best quality of food and care I can.

Thanks so much for your thoughts.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Elderly cat being sick often

Post by booktigger »

Welcome to cat chat, 19 is a good age. Was he sick before being on the metacam? When did he last have bloods dine?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi and welcome to CC. No need to apologise for a long post - you want answers!

My cat Willow is on Metacam for her Arthritis. I have to make sure she has it on a full stomach or it makes her sick.

As for diet, there are folks on here with a lot of experience of suitable diets. I'm sure they can help. :)
Nellie 1
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Nellie 1 »

Hello both,

His last lot of bloods were not long ago and all normal ! I took him off metacalm to see if that would help but it made no difference to his sickness, I am happy to keep him on chicken and salmon but I am not sure if this is a complete diet. He has a vets check every three months.

He is a very greedy cat and is capable of eating half a chicken in a day if I let him !

Thanks for any thoughts - much appreciated. Big Ron (that is his name ) would say thanks too if he could

x
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

at his age I wouldn't worry about the completeness of his diet - deficencies don't appear overnight

you could always add a vitamin paste though - this is just one example available from Zooplus http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/supp ... ins/434145" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and most cats love them
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Hazel »

Our Max was sick lots before his hyperthyroidism was diagnosed, but since you've had bloods done this should have been picked up. He also used to guzzel down his food and then throw it straight up again, we found large kibble pieces that he had to chew slowed him down and stopped this, is the new food you are trying smaller pieces than his old food?
Last edited by Hazel on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nellie 1
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Nellie 1 »

Hello all and thanks so much for your thoughts. I know what you mean Hazel. Elderly cats often seem to struggle with the texture of food. Ronnie is on a pate and cannot cope with gelatine. I cut or mash all the other food up. He has always eaten very fast but greed has been a life long issue and he has been chubby in the prime. The vitamin paste is a really good idea. I am also looking at fibre options as constipation is very bad for the elderly feline and human !

I think with vitamins and fibre my mind would be at rest. He is into his 20th year in 2015 I would like him to celebrate that. If in addition to all the good helpful advice so far anyone can tell me of a safe fibre option I think it could be problem solved
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

here is one product to consider - Vet UK are a good firm to deal with

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-supplements- ... -pot-p-769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Hazel »

Maybe try feeding him a spoonful at a time? It's good that he's eating though, lots of old cats struggle to eat enough so that's a good sign....if only it would stay down! x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Is there a pattern to when he is sick, and what does it look like? Is it soon after eating and basically regurgitated food, or several hours after eating and more yellowy and digested?

My old Minnie (who passed last week at 19.5) was sick quite often. It was usually when her stomach was empty and due to a build-up of acid. I found that feeding her little and often, so that there was always food in her stomach to soak up the acid, really helped.
Nellie 1
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Nellie 1 »

Thanks for all the help and yes Hazel if only it would stay down. He has been sick 4 times a day some days then nothing at all for a few days. Thankfully he is greediest cat I have ever owned. At his worst he went round my neighbours houses opening their fridges and stealing food - very very embarrassing. I am going to try the vitamin paste and the fibre suggestion. You have all contributed to Ronnie having a bit longer. I would feed him by the spoonful and will try this although I think him might become furious and try to eat the spoon.

Thanks for your thoughts Crewella. He is sick a while after he has eaten. It often happens during the night. He eats a lot and is fed often. I am so sorry to hear about Minnie. I think any cat that reaches that age must have been much loved and cared for.

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

if he goes a lot longer at night without food than during the day, then you might find a timed feeder helpful, as you could pop a couple of small meals in for access during the night

these feeders are always useful to have anyway
Nellie 1
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Nellie 1 »

Thanks Kay,

I am getting the timed feeder, vitamins and fibre so now Ronnie can be even more pampered. I used to have 3 cats and he is the last one. I will be very upset when he goes so all suggestions appreciated. This is my first visit to this forum and I am really grateful for all the suggestions. You are stars !

x