Pain meds after spaying?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jenjen_82
New Cat Chatter

Pain meds after spaying?

Post by Jenjen_82 »

I've had quite a few cats over the years and recently my vets have been making us buy pain meds to take home with us. I've never known this before with either males or females and the meds that they sell are quite expensive and we don't even use a third of the bottle. I just find it a bit strange that this suddenly seems to be a new thing so I was just wanting people's opinions and to know if their vets make you buy this too. Well they don't make us but they guilt trip us into buying it lol
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Pain meds after spaying?

Post by booktigger »

I foster cats and have never been given pain meds for costs after neutering.
Jenjen_82
New Cat Chatter

Post by Jenjen_82 »

Thanks. The last time we had a male castrated I questioned it as I've never had to pay before and their response was well wouldn't you like to have pain meds after surgery so I paid something like £15 for this bottle of liquid pain killer. I always thought they gave them a slow release pain killer after which lasted 48 hours. I'm going to question it tomorrow when I go. They told me when I booked her in there is extra costs for pain meds and the cone!
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

My vets always advise it's given for spays, I do rescue and def wouldn't buy it each time as we always have it in anyway, I usually just give it for midline spays.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Its unusual for vets to use cones these days, most use internal stitches or glue, although when I was with my old vet they charged for cones so I started saving them
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

there are some indications that Metacam when injected can, very rarely, cause sudden kidney damage, whereas the oral drops are safer, so there could be some logic to your vets' actions

the Metacam has a long shelf life anyway after opening, so you might find it useful to have a supply for temporary pain relief at some future date
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Our cats never had meds either. I read something on here once about someone having meds for their cat after neutering, so I made a point of asking when ours were done and they said it wasn't at all necessary. To be honest they were both fine afterwards and certainly ate well etc. In fact I had problems slowing them down, so meds definately were not necessary.