Cat terminally ill - what do we ask the vet?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Chat Noir
Frequent Cat Chatter

Cat terminally ill - what do we ask the vet?

Post by Chat Noir »

Hi All,
My Mam's cat Cleo (18y/o long haired blue), has been diagnosed with blood cancer and a large tumour on her bowel and stomach. She's lost 1/3 of her body weight over the last 4 weeks so we took her to the vets.
My Mam was very distressed so atm we don't have many details and I want to be sure that whatever is decided for Cleo, is the right decision. Cleo has stopped eating and is drinking very little.
I have a few questions for the vet (prognosis, treatment, success rate etc) but is there any thing else I should be asking? I am in the fortunate position of never having to have this conversation with a vet before :(
I know one of the options is for her to be put to sleep but unless it would be kinder to her to do so, I want to avoid that.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Cat terminally ill - what do we ask the vet?

Post by booktigger »

I'm sorry to hear about your mums cat. With Cleo's age, weight loss and appetite, I think letting her go would be the kindest thing for her, as hard as that is for you and your mum.
Chat Noir
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Chat Noir »

Thank you for replying, booktigger. To be fair, most people have advised the same thing. I guess I just want to make totally sure my Mam & I explore every option possible, even of the conclusion is putting her to sleep. Ultimately, it has to be what is best for Cleo. x
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Your welcome, and I think your right to explore everything, its a big decision but it has to be about her quality of life
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Unfortunately I am inclined to agree, but ask your vet about quality of life for her.

I tend to be guided by this. If they have little quality of life, it is not in their best interest to keep them going longer than is fair.

Fusses to your girl
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I am sorry to hear about your mum's cat. I have to agree with the others.

The hardest thing for you and your mum - the kindest thing for Cleo
Chat Noir
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Chat Noir »

Many thank to you all for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I totally agree with others. We are in no position to judge if Cleo if suffering, or if her quality of life has has reached a certain point. I think a good vet will advise which way to go. I was in a similar position last December (With Alice, in my Avatar). It is a hard decision to make, but we have to do what is best for them. I'm sure you realise that anyway.

I have always taken some comfort in the fact that they aren't struggling or suffering any more - small comfort that it is.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so very sorry to hear that you're having to make such a tough decision, but I completely agree with the others as well.

I had to make the same one recently for my elderly cat, and I did gain some comfort from the thought that I was saving her from pain and suffering. Cats are very good at hiding the fact that they are in pain so, as has been said, I would discuss things with your vet and be guided by them.
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by hgale »

I'm really sorry to read about poor Cleo.

I have to agree with everyone else too - for both Kitten and Mischa I was guided by my Vet for the best decision - Kitten also had a tumour which suddenly grew and moved. I have also always been guided by the saying "better a day too soon than a day too late".

Please give Cleo a gentle fuss from me.
Chat Noir
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Chat Noir »

Thanks All.
I have contacted the vet who explained that if she doesn't respond well to her steroid injection (received last week), the kindest course of action would be to put her to sleep as her prognosis is bleak. We have a follow-up appointment this Friday to check her weight and general well-being and possibly say goodbye to her.
She's a wonderful cat and has enchanted our lives. Whatever happens Friday, I hope we make the right decision for her.

You have all been so incredibly kind and I will keep you posted.
Chat Noir
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Chat Noir »

An update and more questions :(((
Cleo is no longer eating, is sipping a little water but is mostly just sleeping. Me and my Mam agree that it is time to say goodbye. We will be taking her to the vets tomorrow evening.
I have never been through this process before so, could any of you inform me what is likely to occur?
I am imagining that she will be given an injection so that she is put to sleep. I would like to stay with her but I am worried she may have a fit/convulse. Also, is there a process for what happens after? Can we take her home?

Forgive all of the questions, I am completely oblivious as to what happens next. I desperately don't want to see her in pain.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

((((((((Hug)))))))))

I am so sorry to hear this. It sounds like you are absolutely doing the right thing for Cleo

I have only had to do this once, with my Luna three years ago.

The process is straightforward. They are given a sedative injection (a bit like a premed). Once they are released they are given another injection which stops their heart.

With my experience, Luna flinched a bit when the sedative was given, but that was that.

We were given the choice what we did with her. We brought her home and buried her in her favourite place in the garden. We picked our favourite photo of her and framed it and put it in a prominent place to see it every day. It's still there.

My thoughts will be with you tomorrow xx
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

my Trigger went on his final journey last Friday - the vet came to my house, which meant I didn't have to force him into a carrier, which he hated

he was in his bed in the cat tree, and wasn't sedated - she put a catheter into a vein in his front leg, after clipping the fur (which you might want to keep) and he got a bit agitated then, so we let him get down to the floor to settle him, and he ate a bit of liver, and then I popped him back into his bed, where the final injection into the catheter went straight to his heart, and he died instantly, without a sound or any involuntary movement

it is of course dreadfully sad, but not in any way a traumatic experience for you or the cat, so don't be afraid to be there with her in her final moments
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this, but from what you describe I have no doubt you're doing the right thing. I'm sorry, I didn't want to post earlier but I have lost two cats to cancer and they do go down hill very very fast at the end, and poor Cleo sounds just the same. You are absolutely doing the kindest and right thing for her now, even though it must seem unbearably hard. It tears me apart when I have to do this, but I know I'm doing it out of love for them, giving them a painless and dignified end to their life. It's the worst part of sharing your life with a much loved pet.

Many vets will do a home visit for this last step in the journey. Ask if you vet can do this, as it's so much nicer when they can go at home - you can spend as long as you want with her before and after, and it stresses the cat less.

The vet will usually shave a little fur off a leg to find a vein, and will sometimes administer a sedative first, which will make her go to sleep. This can sometimes make them vomit, so keep an old towel handy, but it is quite quick and peaceful. Next they will administer another injection, which will stop her heart. Again, it is very quick, and very peaceful. With one of mine he did it without the sedative, which was a bit more of a shock for me, as my puss collapsed very suddenly in my arms and passed away very quickly. I preferred it with the sedative - I think the vet underestimated how alert he still was (although had we not done this I am certain he would have passed away during the night, and I just couldn't bear to leave him lingering and in pain).

Afterwards, if you do decide to go to the surgery for this, I'm sure the vet would let you bring her home if you want to bury her body, or whether at home or at the surgery, he may be able to send her body to a pet crematorium if you prefer, and they will let you have her ashes back in a little casket, usually after a week.

I'm so sorry you're having to do this, and will be thinking about you, and little Cleo. Take care.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I am so sorry to hear the news. I with be thinking of you, your mum and Cleo tomorrow. x
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

I will be thinking of you all tonight, take lots of photos today and make a big fuss of her - I always regret not taking more of my Kit and Mischa (and I took quite a lot too).

As for the final injection - it is very quick and peaceful. My Mischa was given a sedative before the final one and she just went peacefully off to sleep. Kitten took longer with a sedative, but we had to give the final one to her through her stomach as due to her age the Vet couldn't get a vein to hold. The Vet did reassure me that after the sedative takes hold she was completely unaware of anything even if it did take longer than normal, (the cat may well "lose control" of her toilet too before she goes to sleep - don't worry, that is normal after a sedative). I had both my girls cremated and their ashes are in wicker pouches with photos in a memory box, but I'm sure your Vet will allow you to make the decision as to what happens.

I also want to say "thank you" on behalf of Cleo - you are making the kindest decision you can for her. Please give her a really big fuss from me and Denver.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I've lost a cat to cancer too, and I agree that it sounds as though the time is right for her. I've also been through this process several times in the last few years, as my elderly cats reached the end of their lives. My vet doesn't use a sedative, but it always happens very, very quickly as he gives the injection - so quickly that I hold them supported or lying down so they don't drop as they lose conciousness. It has always been quick and peaceful, and not traumatic in any way.

I have always taken mine home to be buried in the garden.

Give her a gentle fuss from me, I will be thinking of you this afternoon. (((hugs)))
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

I haven't had to go through this yet so this is reassuring for me to read to. Big hugs to you and gentle kisses to your darling Cleo.xxx
Chat Noir
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Chat Noir »

Hi All,
Cleo passed away at 18:00 UK time. I spent 2 hours with her at my Mam's after work and she was her usual, stroppy and affectionate self, except clearly struggling to walk.
We had big cuddles and fusses.
The vet was a very kind, gentle man. He advised that now was the right time to say goodbye. Cleo then suddenly found a new lease of life: exploring the room, walking over his computer, chattering....it was incredible to see her so animated.
She wasn't happy about the razor shaving her arm and fought to the end, which was distressing and I will need to reflect upon this.
She was given 1 injection and immediately, she was gone. This part was very peaceful. I thought she was still alive, yet sedated, because she was still so warm :( I cuddled her, closed her eyes and thank her for loving my Mam and I for 18 years.
Can't believe she is not here but I will hold her with me always.

I would just like to thank you all for how informative and supportive you have been. I have felt completely overwhelmed and scared and you have been so considerate and helpful. Thank you all so much xx

I am attaching a picture of Cleo at 3 years old (forgive the quality as it is in my photo album). It sums her up: she did what she wanted, when she wanted, knowing she would be loved regardless.
RIP my beautiful one xxx
Attachments
cleo.jpg
cleo.jpg (118.44 KiB) Viewed 6362 times
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I'm so sorry to hear Cleo has had to leave you - my Trigger's passing is still very raw with me, so I do so understand how you feel

if only they could live as long as we do - but they don't, and all we can do is look after them and love them, and let them go peacefully when we must

I hope you can give her a good send off - a proper funeral really does bring some comfort
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

RIP sweet Cleo. x
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I'm so sorry to hear that Cleo has passed on, but you did the kindest thing possible. It's amazing how resilient these creatures are. My Mo was climbing trees the day before he collapsed and died (his liver tumour burst, probably from him larking around, and he bled internally, so his passing was gentle), and even Mitz found the energy to trot downstairs while we were waiting for the vet to arrive. Your Cleo was a full-blown cat to the very end. You allowed her that much dignity, rather than allowing her to drift away a bit at a time. It will be very hard adjusting to her not being there, but don't let guilt swamp you - you know you did the right thing. She was a very beautiful puss, and you have many happy memories. it's the years before that matter, not that last few moments.
lizzyh
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by lizzyh »

You go chasing over rainbow bridge now Cleo xx
So sorry for your loss, 4 of mine died within a 2 year period, all were aged 17/18 and had been with me through thick and thin x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That's a lovely picture of a beautiful cat. I'm so sorry for your loss, but you did the kindest thing for her. She was a lucky cat to have known your love for the whole of her long life, you have some lovely memories to look back on when this pain has eased. (((hugs)))

Rest in peace much loved Cleo. xx
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

RIP dear Cleo, my Kitten and Mischa will look after you at Rainbow Bridge. And a {hug} for you and your mum from me.
Chat Noir
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Chat Noir »

I've been reflecting on Cleo's death. I believe we made the right decision, but I wish I'd known that the injection administered would be the one where she died. I thought it was the sedative as she was so irate and I did not want her final moment to be one where she was fearful or in pain. I know there is no ideal way for this to happen I just feel some guilt and regret.
I have a 14 year old puss (Portia) living with me (who is also my avatar) & should I ever have to make this decision again, I will ask for sedation first. I can't get it out of my head.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

If it helps, I believe she would have fought the sedative in the same way, and would have lost consciousness after the sedative anyway. It might have been easier for you, but would actually not have made much difference to her. As you say, there really is no ideal way for this to happen - please don't be too hard on yourself. (((hugs)))
Chat Noir
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Chat Noir »

Thank you, Crewella xx
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

I just saw this thread after posting a similar query....my own beloved elderly cat is currently snoozing on her favourite blanket/heat pad on the sofa. I know her time is very near now though.
Thank you for sharing your journey. I know my beloved cat will fight the vet, even on her last legs, this is what makes it so awful for me, but I know now from your posts to ask for a sedative.
xx
We love them, they love us, then our hearts break....I just thank the Lord that it is this way round, that I have to lose them, not them lose me....