Lactating cat has bad diarrhoea

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Changsai
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Changsai »

This is something I encounter every time a couple of my breeding Siamese have kittens around the 2-3 week old stage. One mum is very runny and the other is not quite so bad. Have been giving their usual Orijen dried food and Grau wet kitten food but put them on white fish when the diarrhoea began. I stopped the wet kitten food for now. One cat has had the diarrhoea for over a week now. I put her on Synulox but that doesn't seem to be working. Neither does the Prokolin paste work. They are rather thin and so reluctant to starve them for the 24 hours as I would normally with this problem.

I think I will give them Panacur in case they have Giardia.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Lactating cat has bad diarrhoea

Post by booktigger »

I think you need to speak to your vet, you either have food sensitivity or there is something like guardia in your cats.
Changsai
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Changsai »

Thank you for replying. My vet told me to put them on Synulox, which I did but don't think it is working. I have now given them childrens' kaolin which I am told can work for cats too so fingers crossed but if that doesn't work, or the Panucar doesn't do it, then maybe I need to get a faecal sample sent off to be tested.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

Again it's very common in cats rearing kittens as it is in kittens, kitten food is higher in protein and cleaning the kittens they take in a lot of protein. Put the mummy on royal Canin sensitivity pouches and it will sort her out. Or for higher calorie version royal canin gastro intestinal.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'd be tempted to get a second opinion. You've tried the bland diet and antibiotics seem an odd choice. What if you put them on their normal adult food, kitten food is too rich for some adults?
Changsai
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Changsai »

I hadn't thought of the R C sensitivity pouches. Will order some. Just waiting to see if the childrens' kaolin works. My vet said to put them on the antibiotics in case there is an infection going on but I have heard that it can make the diarrhoea worse. I will need to finish the course which is a bit of a problem if there is no infection. Meanwhile, I have bought shed loads of frozen white fish and they can have that which is bland enough. I will put some rice with it too.

Many thanks again for suggestions. I will try anything.