Starving returned lost cat- neuro probs?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Foster fail
Returning Cat Chatter

Starving returned lost cat- neuro probs?

Post by Foster fail »

On Tuesday evening a neighbour knocked on my door - a cat had come into their house and looked like it may have been hit by a car - could I help? (I foster and work with a cat rescue). I went along and saw the cat who was weak and emaciated. The neighbours have several other cats and a puppy - they could not they said afford to take this one to the vet. I took her and arranged for the rescue to take her to the vet. She looked elderly but purred like a trouper and snuggled into me all night. She went to the vet in the am and was scanned. Her address was the house in which she was found and was the cat that the neighbours had homed four months previously but had lost 6 weeks ago! The vet called them - she was poorly and would need medical care. 'We have a holiday to pay for and Christmas is coming up so we don't have spare money - put her down' said her 'loving owner'! The vet was astonished - the rescue lady was incensed as was I. I agreed to take her on if she wasn't suffering to see if we could give her a chance. The neighbours signed her over. She went on a drip and 24hours later could stand a walk albeit a bit wobbly. I brought her home (they gave her a vitamin shot )They thought she may have had a stroke - further visit to vet concluded a low thyroid level which suggests an underlying condition but her full blood test said her kidneys were fine and her liver was just at the top end of normal, then perhaps her collapses were due to her starvation during her absence from home - BUT - she is still wobbly and every now and again she falls forward, head goes down and around and her ears curl. She started eating yesterday having tried various foods with which to tempt her but today has started to cough, have hiccups and was just sick :( she purrs a lot and has peeed in her box but no poo so far. She likes to sit next to me and has enjoyed some washing by a couple of my other rescue babies. The vet said she would give her a couple of weeks to see if she could recover but I don't want her to be suffering. The head drops/turning/ear curling and legs collapsing do suggest something neurological but that wold only be able to be confirmed with MRI and they don't think she'd survive the sedation to do it - I guess my question to my fellow cat people is does any one have experience of the neurological symptoms described - do neurotically problems cause vomiting and can a cat with neurological issues live a comfortable happy life - she's 12 years old and has been thru so much already. Any advice appreciated in the meantime she's part of the house of rescues including poor William cat with his pillow feet and one of the dogs with a tumour on her leg - it's a bit like emergency ward 10 here!! Thanks for reading - sorry it's long -
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Starving returned lost cat- neuro probs?

Post by Crewella »

I'm afraid I have no experience of this so can't be of much help. I hope she does improve with your love and care. xx
Foster fail
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Foster fail »

Thanks for reading it anyway and sending support. - it's reassuring to have people who understand on tap :)
claire_lee
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by claire_lee »

I'm likewise but hopefully someone will be along who can answer - hope you do find an answer. :)
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

First, thank you for taking this puss in and giving her a chance. If she is weak from lack of food, it will take a while for her system to recover from this, so she will be feeling pretty rough anyway. I don't have experience of neurological conditions, but even if she does have one, there's probably not much they can do about it. I did wonder whether it might be an ear infection, which can affect balance? Otherwise, the issue really would be one of quality of life.

My feeling, for what it's worth, is to go with the vet's suggestion. ie, get her well fed again and back on her feet, then re-do her blood tests and see what you've got left to deal with, and see how she's coping with life, and review the situation then.
Foster fail
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Foster fail »

Thank you for your advice - she's keeping food down better today - had a proper poo yesterday and so far today has not has any collapsing legs or head wobbles - fingers crossed we are moving forward :) still unsteady but as you said, having been that starving it'll take a while for her little system to bounce back. Hopefully vet will agree at next check tomorrow - thanks again - reassurance always welcome!
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

I don't have experience of neuro issues, but I could not read this and not respond.......'thank you' for giving this poor mite a chance, reading what you have done has lifted my heart, please take a massive pat on the back from me, bless you....xxx

.I would also like to meet the lovely 'owners' of this poor animal who wanted to put him to sleep, I would give them a warm shake....to the neck !! :evil:
Foster fail
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Foster fail »

Thank you julieandbarney - she is such a sweet thing (mind you aren't they all)? And she deserves a chance especially after dragging herself back 'home' only to be rejected :( I have a large amount of difficulty being civil to people who mistreat animals so I echo your thoughts about her former owners - still onwards and upwards - just lots of love, food at her pace and time will hopefully give her some comfort and feeling of safety -
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I saw the title of this thread and didn't think I could be of any help, as I have no experience of neuro problems.

But I do have some experience of starved cats. When Poppy turned up on our doorstep she was painfully thin and we did not think she would last the night, she was so weak. The vet said it was enteritis, kept her in 2 days, on a drip, and when she survived all that, we took her home and started to feed her up. It was a long haul, but she made it. I posted about her recently. We called her Poppy Hastings - because she was a 'Battler' (I know terrible isn't it :roll: ) We brought her back to health, then she vanished - perhaps she went back 'home'.

Perhaps her 'wobbles' are nothing more than her poor physical condition. Whatever the case thank you for what you are doing. I hope she makes a full recovery - and I hope her previous owners have a truely awful holiday and terrible Christmas :twisted:
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

What ridiculous and cruel.people. But the good news is that the little girl is now with you and has the best chance she could have. Well.done you and kisses to that precious baby.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

So pleased to hear she's doing a bit better. It might simply have been malnutrition making her so weak. I'm sure you'll give her the best possible chance.

I too would like to shake her original owners by the neck. Honestly, some people - they've "looked after" her all these years and had her as part of their family, to reject her like this in old age is utterly cruel.
Foster fail
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Foster fail »

Thanks guys - today she gave head bonks without falling over YAY!!
Will keep you posted - and thanks for being there x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm so pleased to hear she's doing a bit better under your care - well done you!

I cannot believe people can be so rotten either, and I too wish them gut rot on their holiday and coal for Christmas. Heard of a chap today who's had a baby and just shut his 10 year old cats outdoors until they can come into rescue. I thought that was bad enough! :(
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Foster fail wrote: today she gave head bonks without falling over YAY!!
Great news! Keep up the good work.

Well with all the bad vibes we are sending out, her previous owners are in for one humdinger of a bad Christmas :twisted: :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

:twisted: :lol:

I think you said she was due back at the vets - how did she do there?

Hope she's continuing to improve. :)
Foster fail
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Foster fail »

Doing much better thanks - (sorry have been swamped) - lap sitting - walked down the stairs - walked quickly accross the bed - can jump up and down off of the sofa - still occasional wobble but generally soooo much better :D vet happy - Tabitha happy - me happier ;)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Good News!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Excellent! I'm so pleased for you both. :)
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Super!
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

That is great news :D

Well done to you perservering with this lovely puss x