How to get cat to start staying in again...

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Black_cat_mad
New Cat Chatter

How to get cat to start staying in again...

Post by Black_cat_mad »

I have a 3 year old neutered male Albie, 1 year old neutered male Marvel, and 6 month old neutered female Beau. Before I got Beau in the summer the 2 boys got on great and played all the time. Very comfy in eachothers presence. Then when I gir Beau as a small kitten in July, Albie decided that he didn't like her very much and started staying out. Marvel took to her fine and they're always playing. I've tried enticing Albie in with his food. Keeping him in for longer periods of time where he would have to get used to her but he just mowed constantly and attacked the cat flap constantly. In order to ensure he was fed I've put food outside for him as he will stand outside the door and refuse to eat. All this time Beau hasn't been able to go out but now can and am going to start introducing her to it this weekend. I am hoping that once she is not always on the house Albie will start coming back in again (especially with the cold weather). I won't be putting food out, it will stay inside and I won't have to lock cat flap anymore he can come in and out as pleases. Can anyone advice me on any techniques I can put in place to encourage him to start coming in and staying in to sleep etc? Any help will be appreciated.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: How to get cat to start staying in again...

Post by Kay »

if you are lucky, you will find that Albie's behaviour was as much to do with having his free access to the outside curtailed as the arrival of Beau, especially if he had been coming and going without hinderence for 3 years - refusing to come indoors might have been because he feared being locked in

see what happens when Beau can come and go too - they will be able to interact, or keep apart, much more easily when not forced together indoors
Black_cat_mad
New Cat Chatter

Re: How to get cat to start staying in again...

Post by Black_cat_mad »

Yeah that's what I am kind of hoping. I will see how that goes. Was just wondering if there were any extra things I can do to just help things along. Hopefully the weather will force him inside. I worry because he was a rescue cat that had been living outside a while. He was obviously once living with someone because he has always been friendly, but he's very streetwise and happy to hunt and do his own thing. Worried he will become to much of an outside cat. Almost feral.