Anyone use Broadline for fleas and worms?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jules
New Cat Chatter

Anyone use Broadline for fleas and worms?

Post by Jules »

I usually use frontline every 5 weeks on my 2 cats and they have Milbemax tablets every 3 months for the worming side of things. One of them is impossible to get a tablet down though so we have to take her to the vet nurse to have it done each time.

Last time we were there the vet nurse told us about Broadline which does both worms and fleas and is a spot on treatment so I thought that might save us a few trips to the vets as we can administer that ourselves at home :)

I just wondered if anyone had used it and how you rate it really? I also noticed that you need a prescription to buy it online which is something I've never done before as frontline doesn't require one so if anyone has any advice on that side of things and how easy it is to get a prescription via your own vet I would be really grateful :)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Anyone use Broadline for fleas and worms?

Post by MarkB »

I am assuming Broadline is similar to Advocate and Stronghold. Both do fleas and worms, but not tapeworm. You can buy a tapeworm spot-on quite cheaply online without a prescription. It is called Droncit.

No idea why spot-ons that cover fleas and worms need a prescription. It is easy to get one from your vet. I think they must ave seen thecat in the previous 6 months to be able to prescibe. Most vets charge about £9 for a prescription. If you ask, they will normally write it out with enough repeats to cover a 6-month period. I haven't worked it out, but can't imagine there would be much of a saving on something like that.
Jules
New Cat Chatter

Post by Jules »

From the description it does seem to do tapeworm.............

'prevention of flea and tick infestations, biting lice, roundworms, hookworms and tapeworms in cats and kittens weighing 2.5 - 7.5kg.'
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I will have to look into that. If it does also treat tapeworm, it will be the first product on the market.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

My vet is pushing this at the moment, though I've not tried it yet. Yes it does do tapeworm as well, it's new and from the same people as Frontline. The rescue have been using it and seem happy.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

I've been using it for a couple months now, great for ferals etc but pricey at £27 for 3.