Treating diarrhoea in multi cat household

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Dearlouise
Frequent Cat Chatter

Treating diarrhoea in multi cat household

Post by Dearlouise »

I have 4 cats, 1 has diarrhoea & has had for a week. However I never seem to catch the culprit!

They always do it in front of the tray, due to this they seem to know its naughty & do it when I'm at work or at night. Never when I am around.

I have some diar-stop from a past issue, but I am worried if I treat all of them, the 3 who don't have it, may become constipated. However from reading the sheet attached, it doesn't mention that it's a bulking up medication, just to coat the intestines & kill toxins. So I think it may be ok.

Not entirely sure what to do!
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Treating diarrhoea in multi cat household

Post by lilynmitz »

It's tricky in these situations. I think all you can do is be really vigilant and hope you catch the culprit, as they probably ought to see a vet to make sure that the treatment is specific to the cause. At least you know it's not the food, as presumably they're all on the same diet?
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

If you have a good relationship with your vet I'd just call and ask them if it's OK to give to everyone, including the cats who don't have the runs. They should be able to advise you over the phone without charge :)

Shame you can't set a camera up to catch the culprit !
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

could you not - one at a time confine the cats to a room until one of them produces the runny poo?