Cystitis

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Cystitis

Post by Nettybags »

Hi very new to this so be patient please :o

I have two very spoilt but lovely indoor cats . Thomas and Kitty they are 10 years old and one is on renal food due to bladder stones and reaction to drugs vet gave him . But since having op a few years ago he is well accept when my other cat was ill last July and we took her to the vets ... He got so stressed he got cystitis .
So when I had to go vets for my other cat again on Saturday my husband stayed at home with him but when i got home he got really stressed and he is now showing symptoms of cystitis I have started him on cystophan but need any advice you guys have to offer as we have to take other cat back next week !!
Can I also ask advice on arthritis in cats as this is the problem with my other cat ? I have put her on diet to lose weight . The vet wants to put her on metocam for a month to help get her moving to help lose weight and I am now feeding them separately which is causing stress to them both . They normally eat together .
Really appreciate any advice .
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Cystitis

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hello

One of my girlies had cystitis the day after her adopted brother spent the day at the vet having a dental. It didn't help that I had to keep her in one room that day too as we had workmen in. She is now on a course of Cystease but I am also giving her Zylkene and will do so till the various upheavals are over. Other folk here have recommended burning lavender oil and using rescue remedy. Are you feeding them separately because of the medication? If so, can you give meds another way, say in Lik e Lix?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

My Daz had lots of bouts of cystitis last year, I still give him a regular 'maintenance' dose of Cystophan and up the dosage when I know a stressful time is coming up (like a recent house move). I've also found Feliway helpful with stressful situations with some of my cats.

On the feeding separately, I have six cats, several of whom are on medication or prescription diets but I still feed them in the same room at the same time, I just have to be 'dinner monitor' and make sure they only eat their own and that I pick up any uneaten food. They got used to the rules surprisingly quickly.

Hope your poor boy is feeling better soon.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

One of my girls gets Cystitis on occasions (we think hers is stress related), I've found adding a small amount of warm water to each meal (she only eats wet food) has kept the problem at bay for a while now.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh good grief, yes, I should have said that! I always add a tablespoon of water to each of Daz's meals - it helps flush the bladder through.
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Nettybags »

Thank you all so much for advice .
Tom is fast asleep just spoke to vet and he recommended increasing the dose of cystophan and adding more water to food . I now have a house with feliway in every room .

I feed them separately because of different diets but I think trying to be dinner monitor sounds good .

It's fabulous to find a place to chat about my cats ( babies ) with people that love there's as much as I do .. I worry so much that vet thinks I'm crazy cat lady lol
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Lily used to get cystitis a lot, and usually we tried antibiotics and cystease (hers were usually infections rather than stress induced). In her case it did develop into bladder stones and we had to operate to remove them (typical Lily, she never does anything by halves!). Now I put her on cystease at the first signs, but she has it very rarely now.

It is a problem juggling meal times when you have two cats on different medication, but zylkene and feliway may help. Try to keep their other routines as normal as possible, and stay calm around meal times so they don't pick up on your stress. Give them a bit of extra gentle attention before and after meals to help settle them as well.

Lily also has arthritis, but has dodgy kidneys, so she can't have metacam too much (short courses, intermittently). Has your vet checked her kidney function before putting her on such a long course?

And welcome to our world of mad cat ladies!
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Nettybags »

Great news my Tom seems much better .. I have started to add more wet to his food but I think it might be a good idea to keep him on cystophan for a while ?
As I have to take kitty back to vets for blood test for kidney function .. They are both due to be vaccinated again . Fills me with dread .. I cut there claws myself and even have proper veterinary weighting scales .. ( used to use mine but god that meant weighing me !!!)
Thomas got bladders stones a few years ago and then with meds they gave him he came home and had reaction rushed back in with acute kidney failure ....exactly the same thing happened when he had teeth removed !!!
How often do you guys get your cats renal function tested ? Tom gets so stressed by vets that it causes trouble every time we go .

X